Invisus Lanatum and Arbennan

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 11:48:20 +1200

Andrew Behan:

>Subject: Invisus Lanatum

Nice name!

>The cult Rune Lords are called Zephyroi, the Priests Boreai.

I'm not sure about this. The cult seems to be a heroic rather than socially orientated. Neither Humakt nor Storm Bull have any Priests so why should IO have priests?

>The cult originated amongst self-consciously Orlanthi marginal
>pastoralists in Worion. I suppose like the Bulls of Brass it's
>a barbarian cult that happens to be in vogue.

I think the cult was developed from Carmanizing influences among the Worion. The defining myth of IO seems very Carmanian in interpretation IMO.

>I've always thought their fundamental myth was the LBQ with IdoVan
>standing for Yelm and IO mastering sorcery by saving Creation. How
>explicit was WoG on this? I don't like this killing machines idea.
>Sure, IO is a martial cult but it's an Orlanth variant also.

The carmanian writeup said that the IO overcame the Creator and became enlightened. IMO this looks like an interpretation of 'Orlanth killing Yelm' being their fundamental myth rather than 'Orlanth the Lightbringer'.

The conception I had in mind for enlightenment was Mithraic. I kill the Bull in order to gain its strength rather than imitating the bull. The Bull Shahs killed Lions for this reason IIRC. Thus I feel in the Carmanian paradigm, IO kills the Creator in order to gain his attributes (perhaps to save creation? who knows)

WRT the 'terrible killing machines', I was trying to emphasize the martial aspect of the cult as opposed to the sorcerous interpretation placed on it before. I have no objection to codes of honour.

Me>> I think the core philosophy of the cult is only known by unconfirmed
>> rumour outside its membership.

>I reckon its got several competing "core" philosophies. Some initiates
>reckon IO is Orlanth healed by RG. Others see the cult as "Orlanth
>Strikes Back". Many are fashion victims and Kaufin Destrino just reckons
>it'll do more good than sitting on his hands when the Ban falls.

The cult was recently built up from a minor spirit cult according to the Carmania Writeup (The founder is the Hieophant's brother). This implies that the cult (the faddish Carmanian Version, since you say it's also found in Worion) has a fairly uniform philosophy for the time being.

Hal Bowman:

>Is there an 'official' description of the Arbennan Conf. HQ/ leaders?

I think the RW parallel for the Arbennan Confederation is Shaka and the Zulus. Some leaders are listed in ToTRM#11. The chief is Ivi Kange whereas a cousin of his is the warlord.