Re: pierced trolls

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 20:09:33 -0500

In V2 #459, Cheiron writes:

>Piercing of the nipples and sexual organs is a
>common part of most Troll marriage ceremonies. Though optional for the
>females, it's required of the males and is the trollish equivalent of a
>wedding ringin.

Oh, man, this is perfect. And it spawns a good saying, too: "Never ask to see a troll's wedding ring."

I agree with Cheiron on the distribution of body art, but I disagree that it necessarily came from the dragonewts. I think humans are quite capable of discovering it themselves, and it is quite ancient. The copper age "ice man" discovered in the Alps had hidden tattoos.

Ritual scarification works better with south-eastern Africans (they get the neat ridges) on Earth, so I'd suspect that the Doraddi do something similar.  Scarification of other races is not unheard-of.

I also disagree that dragonewts eschew body-piercing because "you can't take it with you." That logic applies equally well to tattoos. Actually, I think that dragonewts CAN take it with them, at least the holes, if not the things in the holes. Plus, as a spiritual discipline it treats the body as an object--i.e., impermanent.

I want to hear more about elf splicing and pruning!

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #460