Tattoos for Trolls

From: PAUL POFANDT <ppofandt_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 96 17:02:20 +1000

From: cheiron_at_ix.netcom.com (Cheiron )

In a comprehensive posting on Tatoos and Body Piercing, Cheiron said...

>The origins of piercing are obvious. Little bits of metal stuck in the
>body are kind of interesting to look at with regular senses, but when
>groping around in the dark or using sonar... wow. Very cool. Troll
>use of piercing developed before their emergence to the surface world,
>and has been part of their culture ever since. The tough hide of trolls
>makes them especially well adapted to enduring this painful process and
>it's a rare troll who does sport at least a septum piercing and a
>half-dozen earrings. Piercing of the nipples and sexual organs is a
>common part of most Troll marriage ceremonies.

Nice idea. Thinking on the subject of art from the view of Sonar, I remembered the old Ringworld RPG based on Larry Nivens 'Known Space' series. The race know as the Kdatlyno use a complicated sonar touch sense, which alows them to see all dimentions of a construct, not just the exterior surface. Thier most prised art form is the 'touch sculpture' which uses touch as one of the sensory mediums. Of course you must possess a sonar based touch to fully appreciate this form.

If trolls possesed such a sonar sence, consider the implications on preferences in body art. 3-d tatoos, or body piercing that goes all the way into the body in an aesthetically pleasing 3 dimentional form (pleasing to a troll that is) and visible only to creatures able to see in sonar...

Of course, the troll's sences may not be that sensitive.

Catch Ya.
  Paul.