trollkin hierarchies, Body Decor in DH

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 96 13:05:00 PST

I think that trollkin would have hierarchies - they high ranking trollkin get to eat first. Given the trollkin preoccupation with eating, I think the importance of this issue cannot be overlooked!

Question - are trollkin capable of reproducing at all? Do they even have sex? (True trollkin - not dark trolls with littermates.) I've always thought of trollkin as stunted trolls who never reach maturity - sexual or physical.

Body Decor in DH -

Dara Happans love decoration.

In the upper classes, the men (and to a lesser extent, women) decorate themselves with clothing and jewelry. It is considered vulgar to draw attention to the body itself, so tatooing, piercing, etc would be considered vulgar too. With their obsession with perfection, bodily mutiliations would be abhored. Mutilations might limit one's role in religious ritual, or be considered an offense to Dendara (who crafted the body). However, finely woven and colorful fabrics would be highly valued, (and likely an export).

The Lodrili have few such restrictions. Many of the peasants wear little clothing and cannot afford fine clothes, but they traditionally try to imitate the wealthy. They would wear jewelry made from natural items (cleverly woven straw hats,pendants of shells, clay, bright stones, etc.)  Men might practice ritual branding - marks of the heat of Lodril.  Shargashi might brand themselves as acts of dedication and valor.

As contact with foreigners increased, the Lodrilli picked up other tricks - tatooing became known, but was unpleasantly associated with the Southern Barabarians. Body piercing might have caught on among those "pushing the social envelope", much like modern punks. (Besides, it's a nice way to show off metal.)

In modern (Lunar times), all kinds of body decoration can be found in Peloria. Fashion is important, and tattos, piercing, and body painting have an exotic appeal - and they are still cheaper than fancy threads. The consevative and traditional still avoid them - adding to the "forbidden" appeal.

All IMO.

Pam

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #465