Spirit Magic

From: Steven E. Barnes <akuma_at_best.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 1996 20:31:31 -0800

> From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>

> Because Spirit Magic is limited magic. Its usuage is almost mundane.
> IMO A spirit magician would understand his magic as working like this:
>
> _IF_ I chant A and gesticulate B _THEN_ My Sword will burst into Flames.
>
> He would know that if he alters A or B, then his spell will not work.
> For him to imagine changing the effect to 'So-and-so's Sword will burst
> into flames' would imply that either A or B would have to be changed.
> But that would mean that his spell won't work so he can't change the
> effect. As this is spirit magic, the forces involved are intuitive
> and personal and not subject to rational analysis.

However, man is an animal capable of learning. Since they have been using Spirit Magic in some form for thousands of years, I believe they have a pretty good idea of what their spells can, and cannot do.

Maybe back in 100ST, people insisted that Fireblade only worked on *your* sword, and that Firespear was a completely different spell. By now, enough "crazy" people have learned through experimentation what is written in the rules book. The possible ways Gloranthans could re-interpret their myths to justify such increases in knowledge are left an exercise for the pedagogues on the digest...

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #470