Malia is evil

From: fantome_at_ozemail.com.au
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 20:54:13 +1000 (EST)

Me from LoT

> 'All Gloranthan societies outlaw the worship of Malia'... 'there are no centers of power for the cult' <

Peter Metcalfe

>> This is obviously the Orlanthi All at work. And what centres of power
does Chalana Arroy have anyhow? <<

What are the Gloranthan (non chaotic) societies which don't prima facie outlaw Malia?

I believe the centres of power of the healing cults are called hospitals. :) They form part of each community and through their reason for existence they exercise influence and therefore power of a sort.

Unfortunately I didn't distinguish between power as being part of the establishment, or of the 'underground'. Because even the Disease Masters of Malia can exercise power, through threats and fear throughout their nearby communities.

Peter Metcalfe
>> The perception that Malia is evil, stems I think from the fact that the Broos worship her. <<

One of Malias diseases is Soul Rot. It seeks to obliterate your very spirit. Is this not objectively an 'evil' act?

Malia is at least very self-serving. Malia feeds where she can. Other gods accept worship. As a 'worshipper' you supplicate yourself to Malia. A propitiatory worshipper doesn't get even full protection against disease, and they must continue to sacrifice  magic points on seasonal holy days.

An initiate (involuntary/voluntary) must sacrifice power (no difference to normal), and continue to sacrifice a magic point each holy day. Initiates (non broo) must carry a disease. Whilst they themselves, are immune from the effects of that type of spiri t, the disease spirit continues to spread infection.

The cycle continues, Malia continues to feed, more 'worshippers' come her way, more disease becomes rampant. The slow death continues.

And for Plague? No protection is given to initiates by Malia for this, her dark child. I hope this has given an evil enough overtone for you.

And even the dwarves fought (successfully) against Malia. Surely this is enough evidence by itself that Malia is evil. But still a necessary part to stabilise and effect repairs to the world machine.

Peter Metcalfe
>> Erm, so when you get innoculated in the Real World, are you giving up
your soul to the 'spirits' of disease? <<

Being inocculated is different to being made an active carrier and spreader of a disease. Besides, in an innoculation, your immune system limits the effect of/controls the disease. In a Malia initiate, the bargain is that you won't be attacked so that th e spirit has lots of chances to spread disease.

Peter Metcalfe
>> I'm sure the Lunar Malia Cult knows how to turn the disease spirits gained by initiation inactive. <<

My impression was that even an inactive spirit spreads infection spirits. Not to do so would go against Malias' purpose, but this wouldn't matter if the members of the cult were illuminated. As for a method, a spirit of disease could be commanded to go in to an insect (eg flies), where it would not be infectious until comanded to leave.

I do like the idea of a Lunar Malia cult. It would slot very nicely into the very dirty tricks department of Lunar Military intelligence. A small secret sect exists, funded by the military, to spread disease throughout an enemy before military combat.

Peter Metcalfe
>> This raises an interesting possibilty. When Arkat uncovered proof
that the Ralians were spreading disease into Tanisor, did he actually uncover proof that the Malian Cultists were merely _innoculating_ the Tanisoreans against the Plague and leapt to the wrong conclusions? <<

Weren't these illuminates who first spread the disease and then _saved_ the people from the disease?

Brian
fantome_at_ozemail.com.au <SPACE RESERVED FOR RENT>