Re: Mostali wierdness

From: Andrew Raphael <raphael_at_research.canon.com.au>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 19:26:03 +1000 (EST)

Mark Groff <mg1160_at_messiah.edu> writes:

>Mostali can be as wierd as they like since they have no ties to any God
>Time entity save Mostal.

I agree that Mostali can be as wierd as you like. To Gloranthan humans, Mostali are almost as incomprehensible as Dragonewts. The Elder Secrets booklets & the Mostali issue of Different Worlds are excellent sources.

My slant on Mostali society is that it's one where engineers have absolute power. Everything in Mostali society is an engineering project. They are capable of planning & executing tasks the rest of Glorantha (& possibly Earth humans) might regard as ridiculously ambitious. Like the US Army Corps of Engineers -- keep the Mississippi out of the Atchafalaya? No worries. Engineering & project management textbooks are good sources here.

Every dytopia movie or book is source material for Mostali background:

	Soylent Green		Quicksilver mostali
	Bladerunner		Jolanti
	The Terminator		Iron Dwarfs/Jolanti
	Alien			Gunpowder Gobblers

I submit that there are no real Mostali PCs. Any PC who thinks they're a Mostali just thinks they are because ... they're programmed to think that. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?