Glorantha Digest V2 #471

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 96 13:06:11 PDT

I've been following the discussion of spells v. emotion and wonder if some confusion is due to our respective understandings of the rules?

I'm no expert in RQ3 spirit magic rules, but in RQ2, you had to learn your spells from someone. And when you learn something, chances are you learn all uses of it that have been devised over Time (like being able to cast Bladesharp on an axe, even though you only use a sword ... regardless of whether you call the spell "Swordsharp" or "Orlanth's Blessing" or whatever).

In RQ3, I believe you no longer learn spells, but instead gain them from spell spirits. If these spirits are more or less like other spirits (a big if, I suppose), they can learn other uses for their own spells over Time, and allow their (what's the word for someone who has captured and dominates a spirit?) to use the spell in these different ways.

And how do spirits gain their knowledge? Are spell spirits bits of the Primaeval Spell that pass the knowledge on to mortals? Are they spirits at all in the usual sense (specific POW, INT, etc)? How do they replenish themselves, or are there fewer of them as Time marches on? I know I'm skirting God Learner Territory(tm) here ... and please excuse me if all this is neatly explained the RQ3 rules (roolz) that I haven't memorised (or even read in a _long_ time) ...

After much time catching up, I return to the Land of the Lurkers ...

Michael

Michael C. Morrison   Santa Teresa Laboratory     Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology   IBM Software Solutions      Fax   (408)463-4101
Bitnet ID:            MCM at VNET           IBMLink:  MORRISON_at_TORIBM
IBM Mail Exchange:    USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL     or  USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:        G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us