Makers or Growers, Battlemagic, The Masters of Luck and Death

From: Howard Fielding <altfritz_at_imagery.kosone.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 20:00:46 -0400

Hi guys, i have been reading your digest for some time but am ussually so far behind the threads that i have never posted anything...but here goes anyway...

MAKERS OR GROWERS If Aldyrami are GROWERS how do they make the Elf Bow, their leather and copper armour, their shortswords and spears? The Elf Bow is grown to a point...is the "string" a part of the plant [ie Grown] or is it added [ie Made]? Rune Metal is sacred but does this balance the fact that it is MADE. Or are there Swordbushes, Copper-leafed trees, etc? Or is the High King Elf Cult a class of "Untouchables" -i believe this is the term- that DUTY requires de-base themselves for the good of the Forest?

BATTLEMAGIC IMHO, too much magic is BAD...Players have it because they are above the cut of the rest of humanity...they aspire to become Heros [presumably]. They get it as a mark of their status in their cults [even spirit magic]. Most NPC's should not have spirit magic IMHO unless their status warrants it. That is, the bulk of the unwashed masses should be magic poor or void.

The Phalanx spells would function better if they were variations of the Humakti Morale Spell...ie affecting the entire regiment/phalanx/company for the duration of the battle and requiring the completion of a ritual involving the entire unit to cast. Sort of like a Te Deum[sp?].

THE MASTERS OF LUCK AND DEATH Haven't heard this one for a while, eh? I guess that the term no longer applies to Heroquesters anymore??? I always liked the sounds of it though...an obscure Death cult perhaps? or Gladiators? or Dart-masters?

CITIES Whatever happened to Seapolis? It didn't make it into RQ3 [it seems].

KUDOS To TORM for tempting me back to RQ after a 10 year hiatus!

                                See you on the Web,

                                                Howard Fielding