Malia again...

From: Brian K. Curley (Master of Time & Space) <"Brian>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 23:09:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996 Peter Metcalfe wrote

> The ultimate point was not whether the culture's perceptions of disease
> being evil is a legitimate belief to hold but whether it is possible for
> a diety which represents a force 'that kills indiscriminately' to be a
> constructive member of society.
>
> The Orlanthi worship Humakt whom they acknowlege is _Death_ and yet
> they see him as Good! Given the normal human reaction to Death
> (something to be feared), surely Humakt should be an evil being?
> So what is to prevent Malia from being a 'good' diety in Glamour
> or other select parts of the Empire?

I think that the line between Death and a force that kills indiscriminately, not to mentions hideously painfully, is pretty clear. Humakt is Death, and most living organisms do not want to die and so fear death. Malia is debilitating disease and followed by death. If you ask most people whether they'd rather die or linger on with a painful disease *then* die, I bet most would choose the quick way. Otherwise there would be no Dr. Jack Kevorkian's in the world. I think many Orlanthi would see death as a kindness in this circumstance and therefor it's only logical that Humakt would be seen as Good.

Brian

|      Brian Curley       |   I'm your only friend... I'm not your   |
|   Holder of Previous    |   only friend, but I'm a little glowing  |
|      Knowledge          |   friend but really I'm not actually     |
|  bkc_at_axle.adp.wisc.edu  |   your friend but I am...                |