Malia and spells

From: Marcus Lindberg <e90mli_at_efd.lth.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:46:20 +0200

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>Brian K. Curley:
>================
>
>Me>>Is Ebola evil just because no cure for it exists?
>
>>To a primitive society, lacking the crucial objectivity to recognize
>>that diseases are caused by organisms which do not have a philosophical
>>reason for doing the harm that they do, yes it is.
>
>The ultimate point was not whether the culture's perceptions of disease
>being evil is a legitimate belief to hold but whether it is possible for
>a diety which represents a force 'that kills indiscriminately' to be a
>constructive member of society.
>
>The Orlanthi worship Humakt whom they acknowlege is _Death_ and yet
>they see him as Good! Given the normal human reaction to Death
>(something to be feared), surely Humakt should be an evil being?
>So what is to prevent Malia from being a 'good' diety in Glamour
>or other select parts of the Empire?

I think that the Empire using Malia would be as if an country in our world used atomic, biological or chemical warfare. That is not very politicaly corect in most peoples eyes today. Using atomics was politicaly corect during WW2 however. Who knows what the people of Glorantha thinks about it? Maybe the Lunars think that they have to use it on the orlanthi savages to spare Imperial lives just as they uses chaos. Is the lunar citizens "open minded"/insane enough to accept disease in their arsenal.

        /Marcus