Re: spirit spells

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 12:22:22 -0400

In Glorantha Digest V2 #473, Michael "Long, Boring Sig" Morrison writes:

>In RQ3, I believe you no longer learn spells, but instead gain them
>from spell spirits. If these spirits are more or less like other
>spirits (a big if, I suppose), they can learn other uses for their
>own spells over Time, and allow their (what's the word for someone
>who has captured and dominates a spirit?) to use the spell in these
>different ways.

Under the roolz, spirit spells have fixed INT and thus can't learn such complex things. That's the short answer. I and some others view the categories of spell spirit, magic spirit, etc., as bogus and unfun. We run that spirits are generally spirits OF something: tin, for example (as in the odd little table in WF, or was it WD), or human, or wildebeast, or whatever. Their ability to teach spells is determined by a mechanism humans understand poorly, if at all. For binding, however, the type of binding enchantment determines the use of the spirit: stick a spirit in a magic spirit matrix, and you can use its spells; stick the same spirit in a MP matrix, and you can use its MP, and so on.

>And how do spirits gain their knowledge? Are spell spirits bits of
>the Primaeval Spell that pass the knowledge on to mortals? Are they
>spirits at all in the usual sense (specific POW, INT, etc)? How do
>they replenish themselves, or are there fewer of them as Time marches
>on? I know I'm skirting God Learner Territory(tm) here ... and please
>excuse me if all this is neatly explained the RQ3 rules (roolz) that
>I haven't memorised (or even read in a _long_ time) ...

No, it's not neatly explained, and you raise some interesting questions (which I completely sidestep, but which remain for Official purposes).