Grandfather Mortal, Humans, Aldryami, and Uz

From: mark groff <mg1160_at_messiah.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 15:38:40 -0900 (PDT)

I love the stuff on the mostalli being a distributed processing hive mind. On a different tack, the group I last played with decided that every dwarf suffered from one or more of the heresies, and that led to secret societies within secret societies (we are the vegetarian openhanded brethren of the Unk Mountain forge - you are not an octamonist inquisitor are you?). Every sub-group of heretics (at least secretly) thinks that they are the one true manifestation of Mostal.

     Now for grandfather mortal etc. If things didn't happen the way some of the supplemental material says it did (gods and whatnot begetting other gods and whatnot) why is it presented that way? I like it the way it is writen, or at least as I read it - the Gods wanted a worshiper and so created Grandfather mortal who turned out to be more than any of his creators anticipated (what I would call "free will" and unpredictable thinking paterns). Because he was so popular he became a favorite plaything of various goddesses resulting in the mortal races, principly elves and trolls, who likewise get a helping of free will etc. Humans, grandfather mortal's heirs by divine parthenogenisis, while not having the elan of elves or the strength of trolls, have free will and non-linear thinking in spades. Elves and Uz may deny their heritage all they want, but without grandfather mortal they would be more analogous to the dwarves - short borgs.

          Flame away

                   Mark Groff - HIHO Credenza (War Table of Waha)

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #475