Mostali, Death, and the God Learner Monomyth

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 19:45:02 -0400

Cheiron says:

>My personal favorite portrayal of Mostali society was in a senario I
>played at RQ Con I. I think it was called "Seven Heroes" or something.
>Basically the Mostali were modelled after the Alpha Complex societies
>in the game Paranoia. "The Decamony is your friend."

Authored by my friends Oliver Jovanovic and Mike McGloin. (I proofread, but I don't think I get much crediit for that.)

Did anyone spot the, er, references other than Paranoia in that one?

As for the worship of Humakt -- there is a very popular religion right here on Earth that worships, not Death, but Primal Destruction itself. Namely, the Hindu worship of Siva. Siva is Destruction, the ending of things.

Why is he worshipped? As it was explained to me (I'm no expert), because so many Indians and neighbors have really terrible lives. Religions that preach endless, changeless perfection (i.e. Yelm) aren't that attractive to people who have really unpleasant existences. The last thing they want is eternity as a landless peasant or whatever. Siva offers the hope of something *else*.

Perhaps there are ecstatic cults of Humakt, like the Sivaists, who chant his name over and over and fall into joyous trances of worship, with the goal of not having to be shepherds living in a hut for eternity?

Matt (I think) asked why, if the gods didn't engender things as explained in the writeup, it's written that way? Well, because the writer *thought* that was how it happened. Not the real-world writer, but the "in the game world" writer we're assuming the existence of.

I do, however, object to the extreme, Berkelyan, relativism sometimes seen on this list. *Something* really did happen, even if no mortal on Glorantha really knows just what. As I probably say too often, the God Learners were *right*. They eventually became corrupted and were overthrown, but their basic insights were *correct*.

(Then again, I'm a God Learner.)
- --

Dueling Modems, Inc.                    http://www.sfrt.com/sfrt/
Genie Sysop
". . . stories have to end. It's what gives them meaning." -Neil Gaiman