Re: Battle of Moonbroth; magic; Malia

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 13:45:57 -0700

David Ford wondered

> Tonight while playing RQ, the battle of Moonbroth was mentioned. One of
> fellow players couldn't understand why a contingent of the Broos would
> 'bother' to join the Nomads in resisting the Lunars. No one including the
> GM could give him a proper answer. I don't have access to Nomads Gods, so I
> was wondering does anyone know why some broo allied themselves with the
> Praxians against the Lunars at Moonbroth.

Maybe they don't like Lunars. Maybe they were hired as mercenaries (since the fight looked desperate). Maybe they just like fights, and randomly picked sides.

Howard Fielding asserted

> IMHO, too much magic is BAD...Players have it because they are above the cut
> of the rest of humanity...they aspire to become Heros [presumably]. They get
> it as a mark of their status in their cults [even spirit magic]. Most NPC's
> should not have spirit magic IMHO unless their status warrants it. That is,
> the bulk of the unwashed masses should be magic poor or void.

There's nothing wrong with running a game like this, but it differs from the way Glorantha is intended to work. In fact, most spirit magic is handy for household tasks (think how handy a temporary Glue spell would be to a crafter).

Peter Metcalfe wonders

> So why cannot Malia be a healing cult in _some_ part of glorantha?

But would a healing cult still be the cult of Malia to anyone but a God Learner?

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #477