Malia (again, and again)

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 23:58:32 +0100

Pam Carlson writes:

>This is a key assumption for your point. The Broos' POV is all we have.
> Why don't you write up the cult of Malia Theresa in Glamour to give us
>another POV?

 Hmmm. An intresting concept -- in what ways would a "good" ideal of Malia differ from that of an "evil" version?
 The Lunars would describe her as "Mistress of Disease"; a controller of a natural force rather than an inherently evil one. IMHO I believe that to integrate with the Dara Happan view of an evil Malia the Lunar Empire would have to somehow demonstrate some part of Malia to be willing to grant her power of disease over to either Yelm or the Red Goddess, and so they would likely have yths dealing with this -- a myth of Yelm defeating, subduing and forcing Malia into making an oath to Yelm to agree to a comprimise. So, therefore, in the center of the Empire, Malia would be worshipped as an associate cult to the main deity to make use of her special powers of resistance against disease.
 The actual mechanics of the cult would not differ too much -- although priests would be more intrested in spells like Command <disease spirit> than Cause <disease>; but I feel that a biological warfare department would make use of these diseases against their enemies, as already suggested.  So, as an example, we have:

THE CULT OF MALIA THRESEA I. MYTHOS AND HISTORY  Malia was the daughter of Glorantha and an unamed deity -- she was a twin to the White Healer Chalana Arroy. She hid in the Darkness, however, whereas her sister played in the Light with the nymphs and nature spirits, learning joy and happiness. Malia did not learn such skills, she learnt only hate, jealousy and revenge. Like all shadows she grew in the Darkness, but she soon grew jealous of those greater than herself. When Death came she discovered nourishment within the wreckage and destruction of the Gods War. She reviled in the very thing that her sister hated most, aiding in the death and evil that resulted from the actions of the rash Storm Gods.  Malia joined the Unholy Trio and allowed Chaos into the Cosmos. But when she saw the results of her actions she regretted it, and as she saw the son of Thed and his evil she fled to repent against what she had done. She fled to the feet of Yelm in the Court of the Dead. Here Yelm Maggotliege looked upon her and demanded that she truly show her piety, and so Malia was placed under a series of gruelling tests. Like Orlanth she demonstrated that she was worthy of Yelm's repentance, and as a sign of this amnesty she gave him her knowledge to defend what she had unleashed upon the world -- this can be seen in the Rune Magic that the Priests know as Fight Disease.  When Orlanth came she was protected by the unceasing light of Yelm. When he demanded she be excluded from the Compromise Yelm refused, he said she was part of his being, part of his pantheon. She had humbled herself to both Yelm and her sister, and was accepted by both Yelm and his people. Being a man of honour, Orlanth accepted this and both Malia's mistakes (disease spirits) and her successes (the magic to combat disease) were combined into the Compromise.
 The Red Goddess knows of this power of Malia's and accepts her into her new order, and reinstates her in her old position of Healing Goddess. She was a great aid in the Era of Healing, and is honoured for her actions.  She is shown as a woman, normally bowing down to the light of the Emperor or Chalana Arroy, and often with a tattered rag where her back has been whipped or otherwise punished. She offers a bowl of water in repentance for her crimes.
 Funeral rites are only needed when people die of disease. The cult of Malia often offers recompence for the Death, and buries the body for free in the nearest burial ground, at their own expense -- therefore the cult makes every effort to ensure that plagues do not break out.  Within the Lunar Empire she associated with Darkness and Harmony.

II. CULT ECOLOGY  Malia is the goddess of repentant healing. She is gravely sorry for her actions of the Godtime and her worshippers seek to either contain, or obliterate, disease from Glorantha. She is a slave to Yelm unto such a time that she has made recompense for her actions from Before Time.  Under the terms of the Great Compromise, disease is a bane of the mortal races and Malia's place is to wipe it away, being it's creator she sees this as her duty. She is thus a part of the world, despised for her previous acts, but a neccessary part of the New Cosmos of the Red Goddess.  Malia's cult within the Empire supports Yelm and her sister cult, Chalana Arroy. Both Teelo Norri and Deezola receive suport, the first because many of the poor and homeless who come to her are infected, and the latter as a healing goddess. Those races that are immune to the touch of Disease, such as Mostali, are honoured for this power. Lunarians investigate these abilties and attempt to reproduce them magically (as well as how to overcome these resistances -- just in case a Lunar vs. Mostali war ever occured).  Malia's holy days are the same as Chalana Arroy's. The High Holy Day is in the second week of Sacred Time when Malia was forgiven by Yelm.

III. THE CULT IN THE WORLD  The cult is only worshipped in the center of the Empire. On the outskirts the ignorance of the populace means that they still believe Malia to be an evil deity, and incapable of good -- even though Lunarian Healers demonstrate otherwise. The cult is small and modest, temples are to be found in Glamour and Torang, and the odd shrine elsewhere in the most pure areas of the Lunar Empire. The Cult is allied to Chalana Arroy, and often Illuminated Healers of both cults can be found, either worshipping both goddesses, or else working closely with members of the other cult. Their shrines are most likely to be found within temples dedicated to other goddesses such as Deezola or Chalana Arroy.

IV. AND V. - See LoT p.29.

VI. INITIATE MEMBERSHIP  An initiate is required to accept a disease spirit. In doing so, the population of Disease Spirits is reduced, through the power of Malia the spirit is neutralized and so does not spread to other people and neither affects the intitate.
 They must sacrifice 1 POW. They must also be willing to accept the general disdain of soceity, but otherwise initiation is automatic. Initiates are taught spells by the shaman, normally heal and soothe wounds.  Malia is unable to bring people back from the dead using Divine Intervention, her connection to Death was severed when she agreed to turn back to healing the Cosmos from disease and so she is incapable of such an act.  Also see LoT p.30.

VII. DISEASE MASTERS  See LoT p.30.
COMMON RUNE MAGIC: Binding Enchantment, Divination, Heal WOund, Sanctify, Worship Malia.
SPECIAL RUNE MAGIC: Command <disease spirit>

VIII. AND IX. see LoT p.30 - 31.

X. SUB-CULTS SPIRIT OF REPRISAL
 To the unfortunate who chooses to revoke her worship, Malia can no longer protect them from disease. While Malia is very upset at the prospect of someone dying of disease, she is incapable of preventing this. See LoT p.31 for the effects.

XI. ASSOCIATE CULTS CHALANA ARROY
Her cult is responsible for the teachings of the skill, Teach Disease.

YELM
Grants Fight Disease, which was previously a gift from Malia.

DEEZOLA
Grants Restore Health <all types> to restore points lost via disease.

Nick Effingham         E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com
<None so gaudy, nor as bloody,
as the sword that would,
crash and bash, an' swing with a flash,
and spill thine enemies blood>