Darksense; Sky burial

From: Neil Smith <NSMITH_at_dmu.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 13:17:07 GMT

Pam Carlson:
>> [Me on darksense "smacking"].

>I agree - to an extent. ... Still, troll sonar might have physical effects if
>they place their forehead (the source of the sound?) against the target,
>thus keeping the sound waves in the dense, water filled medium of flesh.

That was my thinking as well -- the dolphins need physical contact to inflict pain on others by sonar, so the trolls will certainly not be able to do it in air. Nor will the "smack" do any damage; it will probably have the same effect as a physical slap, i.e. sting a bit, but no real damage.

>It's also been suggested that sperm whales can stun their prey with large
>blasts of sound - particually in dense, deep water. This may be a power of
>sea trolls? The effect would be slight, (maybe like a Disruption?) as sea
>trolls don't weigh 50 tons. Also handy for Gloranthan cetaceans.

I agree with that. The effect would only happen underwater, but would be very effective against rigid, fragile objects: pots, bottles, goggles...

Peter Metcalfe:
>>Sky burial:
>Used by the Rinliddi and some Horse Nomads. This has a problem in
>that the bones are often left behind and have to be disposed of by
>other methods.

They get renervated as powerful ancestors, still here to help us. Our shamans keep the bones of the most powerful people in the clan as a focus for summoning their spirits. The bones of others are left at holy sites, to keep our mark on the land.

Neil.