Magic in Glorantha

From: Steven E. Barnes <akuma_at_best.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 22:47:01 -0700

> From: Allan Henderson <allan_at_chem.gla.ac.uk>
>
> Here is my suggestion for what milatristic spells can also
> be used for :
>
> Spell Name Alternative Name
>
> Disrupt Kill Rats
> Bladesharp Speed Plough
> Strength Work Hard
> Mobility Chase Goats
> Demoralise Calm Stallion
> Beffuddle Stop Bull
> Slow Catch Sheep
> Speed Dart Hunters Friend

I remember the same logic being applied in the RQ IV discussions some time back. (OK, Hunter's Friend isn't a bad name, but the rest stink). I have no problem with "combat" spells being used for non-combat purposes, but to pretend that farmers consider a spell like Disruption to be intended for merely killing rats just bothers me (well, if they got the spell from Yinkin, I might believe it...)

Do farmers call their spears "hog pokers"? Are knives called "potato peelers"? Many weapons can be used for constructive purposes, but I think it would be silly to try and disguise the basic nature of such things.

Most of the spells you cite have perfectly adequate names. "Bladesharp" makes blades sharper. "Slow" makes the target move slowly. "Strength" makes the target stronger...