More on Malia....

From: Allan Henderson <allan_at_chem.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:40:16 +0100

I have hung off posting about Malia but here goes.

david boatright says:

>But changing Malia to a healing Goddess makes here the opposite to
>what she is every where else.

This is the oposite of how she is perceived I agree, but in the mythology there is the healing connection writ large. I do not think that it is inconcieivable that in the Lunar heartlands a human/ civilised broo worship of Malia does occurr. They may be viewed a group of repentant disease curers and preventers. this prevention aspect will be what differentiates them from all other healing cults, and may make them popular with those who live in disease prone areas.

I don't think that the name should be changed from Malia just because this is the healing aspect of the cult. Imagine the horror arround the Orlanthi camp fire when the story is told of the Lunar legion with its own attachment of "Malia" worshipers.

This tame Malia could be used to smite enemies and those who stray off the path if the mythology is right, either a servent of Yelm or under oath to the Red Goddess.

I think that I have been persuaded to the idea that there are two *aspects* of Malia:

  1. Worshipped by broos and other foul things, spreads disease and gains power from such. Hated banned and hunted everywhere.
  2. Worshipped by all who require healing from disease. A repentant healer cult. Can only exist within the enlighted heartlands of the Lunar empire or under the protection of her armies.

All IMHO

Allan