The continuing adventures in Dragon Pass

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 22:03:38 -0700

Howdy all,

        I thought I would take a brief break from my contemplation of what the = National Labor Relations Board v. Jones & Laughlin Steel and Wickard v. = Filburn decisions meant to American federalism and post David Dunham's = brief write-up of what happened to our favorite batch of Heortling = farmers in the Ormsthane Vale of early 1347.

Korolsaga:

Korol Jaransson of the Larmanthing clan arrived in Ormsthane Vale, and = was
received with honors by Varmand Orlmandsson. Varmand's housecarls = treated
Korol cooly, but he was well regarded by the other members of his household.

After planting was complete, Kolbrast Blackmood of the Malani clan of = Two
Ridge, the father of Varmand's third wife Eonislara, came to visit. On behalf of Mad-Blood Malan, he asked for compensation for the deaths of Egrist and Ornar, whom Varmand had killed when they came raiding with Erland Malanson.

Varmand put the question to the entire clan, appointing Heorl = Umathkelsson
as his juror. Finally, the clan decided to pay a fair wergild of 20 = cows,
rather than the 60 cows which Malan had requested. Varmand asked Heorl = to
deliver this to Malan. Korol volunteered to help negotiate, and = convinced
Markalor Gidmansson to go as part of the escort. Illig Jarangsson volunteered, and convinced Janstan, son of Volund the Smith, to join the escort. Theya Jarangsdaughter also came.

Orlev the Tall met them at the edge of Malani lands, and sent them on to Two Ridge Fort. The fort was a large, sturdily-constructed hill fort. Malan, who styled himself a king, and most of his housecarls were = followers
of Humakt.=20

Malan requested the "brigand chief" Varmand to pay tribute, but Heorl = and
Korol eventually persuaded him to accept the wergild.

At the feast, everyone praised the fine ale of Ernar Greydog (which, as = it
turned out, left no hangover, even for Heorl, who overindulged). = Lismelder
Malansdaughter warned Theya that her father would attack and destroy the Varmandi clan unless they paid tribute. Korol tried to compose a poem = about
his father and Malan fighting together in Heortland, but didn't do a = very
good job, and earned black stares from Malan.

The members of the Varmandi clan returned home, glad to have = accomplished
their mission with no bloodshed. Malan would definitely be a problem in = the
future, though perhaps the rivalry between Erland Malansson and = Lismelder's
husband Frodi to succeed Malan would offer a key to survival.

Hopefully later this week, I'll be able to post the point of view of a = proud Ernaldan (Theya Two Mothers), Heorl the Lawspeaker and Illig the = Energetic.

Yours truly,

Jeff Richard