Peter's ramblings

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:00:17 +0200

I wrote:
>Kralorela, except for the northern border area is pretty peaceful

Peter:
>I suspect Kralorela is undergoing intense social turmoil at present. The
>Bridges are being constructed partly to alleviate mass unemployment.

Hmm, I always think in more mythical terms, so such a mundane explanation is rather alien to me. I see the bridges as a spiritual project, not a practical one.

>I think that some parts of Kralorela are virtual tinderboxes (like Boshan)
>and need only a spark before widespread violence flares.

I won't challenge this, but I would like to know what conflict you see waiting to flare up.

>A capable
>Emperor would solve the current problems of Kralorela long ago; but as
>Godunya is nearing the end of his reign, the Highest Authorities are
>devoid of new intiatives akin to what happened in the last years of
>Brezhnev

But Godunya isn't senile and dying. He is vital and magically active.

However, there is no reason to turn this into a big argument. We have rather different views of Kralorela, so it's OK.

Me:
>The East Isles have many havens of tranquility

Peter:
>I suppose the definition of 'haven of tranquility' for the East Isles is
>one that hasn't been menaced and/or ravaged by the Vorumaini, Extogallians
>and Rakuti. If so, this would be a declining minority every year.

The Vorumai are a problem in the North Arm so far. Only the Valkarians are antagonistic to the sea dwellers and the Ratuki are also mainly a northern problem. The central and southern parts are not involved in much physical conflict yet. There are however other dangers, less tangible but more insidious. The Islanders have a strong connection to the Dream world. While this often makes them less concerned about material things it is also a dangerous path. Use it to much and you can become a dream wraith. The more people do that, the closer the Nightmare comes to its return.

But, as a summary, I think that most Islanders live uneventful lives in peace, with fewer worries than most.

Peter on axes:
>The Teshnan Fire-worshippers do use axes

The Teshnan elite warrior in the illustration in GCotHW does carry an axe, so I guess it's OK to assume that they do. However, it's never stated in the text that they do. Since the illustration looks cool, I think we should go with it.

>an axe is cheaper
>(requiring less metal to make) and also has civilian uses.

Also, although not so much reflected in RQ rules, an axe is heavier and probably delivers a more powerful blow, which might be more efficient than a sword cut against an armoured opponent.

And, not only do you need less metal, it is also easier to make an axe head than a sword blade.

Nils W				| Here we are!
Office: niwe_at_einku.ericsson.se	| We sail on a ship made of dreams.
Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net