Aldryami and such.

From: Loreena Johnson <L.Johnson_at_sct.gu.edu.au>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 05:49:40 +1000

Greetings
Just a few mumblings that I felt needed to be expressed on the Aldryami front. 1) I've been playing this game since 1st ed. and there seem to be quite a few paradigm shifts to 3rd ed. A requirement to de-Tolikenize the races at the forefront.
I have always preferred to think of RQ Elves/Dwarfs as Aldryami/Mostali; just this
simple act tends to break the Tolkien mind set/view.

2)I must agree that futher research into the Aldryami must be made, not so much into their nature but there physical aspect. I am confused because the physical representation of the Aldryami has moved from the 1st ed. Tolkien footing; frex illistration of the "human w/- pointy ears p70.RQ 1st ed. or the body composition
description as "meaty vegetable matter" in para.6 page 10 Troll eating habits UZ Lore
Troll pack. to "members of the vegetable kingdom" p252 RQ 3ed. with backing illist.
in WF (reprinting) page 18.
I love the plant concept ( & the blow gun armed idear(doubles as a spear?)) But this does raise a few fundamental questions, photosynethsis (already raised,comments?),
Geophagy (will eating dirt sustain them?), Plant attributes (green wood is awful resilent(natural armor more hit points?)), Poison tollerance (one man's, another's fertilizer)
I don't know about a pruning response for fertility,how about in relation to day length?
(does gloranthan day length vary? I don't think so scrap the above.)

3)Nick Effingham asked about being linked to a specific tree and what would happen to an
Aldryami if it was destoryed? I did some quick research and it seemed to me that the
elder races book of elder secrets implied that the plant type of the Aldryami was more
of a clan identifier, the longer their "TYPE" of tree lived the longer they did. Dryads were bound to a specific tree but IMHO "ELVES"(god I hate that word!!) were
free to come and go as they please.

4)I've been experimenting with my group having trouble with a band of Aldryami who have renounced their vegetarianism and become carnivore, on the grounds that eating plants reduces the num. of plants. (declared war and dinner against all plant eaters).
Chaos taint? Splinter religion? I think it could lead somewhere interesting!

And now since I've consumed so much valuable time, I'm off. May the light of the Goddess guide and consoule you, all hail the the reaching moon!