Aldyrami Weapons, Real Amazons and Esrolia

From: Howard Fielding <altfritz_at_apollo.kosone.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 16:37:30 -0300

ALDYRAMI WEAPONS-- As i have stated before, i believe all Aldyrami weapons/armour are grown, not made. It occurs to me that the Elf Bow/Blowpipe and anything grown of copper would still be used in a live state because the livemetal is enchanted to make it usable (as per other runemetals). I think that the enchantment ritual causes the copper leaves to become rigid rather than pliant. I don't think it should kill the leaf. Common weapons would require a plantslay, however.

What do Aldyrami weapons look like?

The rules make it easy to think in RW (human) terms...say shortsword and i think gladius or those greek leaf-shaped swords. I believe the Aldyrami copper-swords are indeed leaf-shaped! Some might have serrated edges...also Mreli, Vronkali and Embyli weapons would appear different because of their different associate trees. Elders Secrets gives Vronkai _broadswords_! Why? Evergreens would be more apt to have epee-like thrusting swords? I would say that common swords and spears would be thorn-like, cropped from special thorn trees. They would be thrusting only weapons (perhaps with a plus to penetrate plate or mail armour?) while copper weapons would be cut-or-thrust weapons. Also i find that i have a RW temptation to say that these _thornswords_ are made of ironwood (it sounds stronger)- then i realize that no Aldyrami would name a plant after the killmetal.

What does Aldyrami Armour look like?

I'm not sure if lammellar is the correct term i should have used...scalemail might have been more apt a RW analog. It occurred to me the other day that it could be formed as breastplate/backplate combinations. The leaves would be entwined/woven using techniques similar to those used by RW Bonsai-artists. Don't THEY use COPPER wire to manipulate their plants? Again, the copper would remain alive (by virtue of its enchantment) after it is severed from its parent plant. Such armour might be lighter and more flexible and thus better suited to the Aldyrami fighting style. Helmets would resemble the Mycenian tusk-covered helms...or like those ugly old-fashioned swimming caps!

REAL AMAZONS AND ESROLIA The Foreign Legion experience in Dahomey has been the subject of much debate. BTW, the FFL was only a part of the force involved. The fighting quality (ie. Dedicated Fighters vs Show piece unit)of the Amazons is not certain. Some believe that they were more of a Harem than Military unit. They apparently were used against neighbouring tribes, but they may have succeeded through intimidation rather than skill. They certainly intimidated/shocked the Legionnaires when they were first encountered! The europeans were sirprised to be attacked by half-naked women...how do you kill that which you are socialized to protect? Training and Experience allowed them to shrug off those sentiments pretty quick. Additionally it was a case of superior weaponry vs primitive swords and spears. I doubt whether the rifle armed amazons were trained enough to actually hit anything with their weapons. The bulk of the amazons had melee weapons. Given equal weapons the initial charge of the amazons might have broken the morale of their foes...the ensuing rout would have been a slaughter.

In Erolia the women are not part of any harem. Their dedication and training are not in dispute. Their foes in patriarchal societies might have the same sort of prejustices against the killing of the _weaker_ sex. Everyone is more-or-less equally armed. To compare a male vs female in our presentday patriarchal society is no help. Compare a female martial artist vs a male martial artist. I think that they might be more equally matched than the popular prejustice allows.
Additionally, comparing size and mass and strength is going down the wrong road...throughout history small MEN have had to fight bigger MEN...and i don't think that they lost all the time (nor probably even half the time). The net result is that i believe that coming from a Matriarchal Society, Inspired and Dedicated units of women would have no problem handling their male foes.

                                        Howard