Esrolian Military

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 12:42:58 +1200

Martin Laurie:

Martin is skeptical over my expresssions of scepticism at his skepticism about my description of the Esrolian Military. Since many people have jumped into this thread, I'll keep my comments short.

Me>>Besides if they were more
>>'masculine-minded', they would have conquered everything within marching
>>distance by now.

>Er...How? Even if the women were more masculine minded and marched on other
>nations the chances of them winning are low.

You misinterpreted masculine-minded. By they, I meant the Esrolians as a whole. If they were more 'masculine-minded' (ie by putting da boyz in charge of da war toyz), they would be heaps stronger militarily.

>I know its a matriarchy as are the Trolls but you notice that they are smart
>enough to let the males do the fighting and keep the females safe.

Just because the Matriachal Trolls fight in a particular way does not mean that the Matriachal Esrolians are going to do so. The West and the Orlanthi have radically different ways of waging war despite both being strongly patriachal.

>If your enemies don't have cav and you do then you have a
>edge, the Esrolians have the money so why not get the edge?

My guess is that the Esrolians have no spare land to set aside for raising of cavalry (a la Japan).

>Babeester Gor cannot be more than a fraction of their forces for
>few young women could be attracted to so hard a faith.

Um, what so hard about Babeester Gor? You get to kill lots of people and you get totally pissed off-duty. Not too much different from most male armies in history IMHO. The burdensome sex restrictions are only for the higher levels who probably drink themselves into oblivion as compensaton.

Mark Smylie:

>Argan Argar (and I assume, or at least suspect, that it was the widespread
>worship of Argan Argar and the Only Old One, with AA's connection to the
>spear-wielding trollkin militias, which prompted Peter's take on the
>Esrolian military).

Although correct, the suggestion was made by Jeff Richards.

I don't think Yelm and Orlanth are military gods in Esrolia. IMO, Yelm is more like a Tammuz/Adonis figure and Orlanth is supplicated chiefly for Good weather.

>I've always been a little dissappointed by the lack of a Medusa
>parallel in Glorantha,

Seshnela and the Serpent Kings. Seshna Likita was apparently on the scalely side as her child, King Ylream, had snake bodies where his legs should have been.