Esrolia military

From: Durupt Jean <durupt_at_cc.ec-lyon.fr>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:06:31 1997

        Hi all

When we speak of the esrolian army, we should remember that Esrolia shared the fate of the Kingdom of Night from before the Dawn to the Only Old One's death, and was part of the Holy Country until the pharaoh was captured by Jar-Eel (in 1616).

There was no Esrolian army, but an Esrolian corp in the king's army.

Since Esrolia is a matriarchy I agree that the typical regiment has only women as
officers.
Elite regiments are certainly women only regiment, since Babeester Gor has some
very efficient combat magic.

The army was certainly a good place to send the worshipers of Orlanth, Yelmalio and
Argan Agar, the husband protectors.
As in the Granite Phalanx write-up, the
NCOs are rune level from these cults and the (female) officers are from an earth
war cult.

Like soldiers everywhere, a recruit is a poor soldier but with training, experience and indoctrination they can become quite good and whip even hardened Sartarite huscarls.

The problems with Orlanthi raiders became grave when the pharaoh disapeared. Esrolia is still a rich country to raid, but can no longer count on the king's army to protect it. Worse yet, the king's navy was destroyed and the pirates can do as they want. Since there is no higher ruler, the matriarchs have to find a new ruler for the land, the ressources used in politics are now unavailable for the army, and a raid on the neighbouring rival is not such a bad thing. Hence the bad reputation of the Esrolian army.

	Peace
		Jean