Aldryami Races, High Context vs Low Context

From: Howard Fielding <altfritz_at_apollo.kosone.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:51:02 -0300

ALDRYAMI RACES         About Martin Crim's post again, i would like to see one for the Pamaltelian Jungles....given the number of species involved it should be fun...

        It seems to me that we are missing the interplay between the species of Aldryami as well...It is too much a case of Aldryami vs Uz, or vs Mostali, or vs Humans, but never (except one War in Western(?) Pamaltela) vs each other. And yet many plants prey on one another (Vines, Fungi) and compete for space (Large shade trees prevent smaller shrubs from establishing themselves). Any thoughts on this interplay?

HIGH CONTEXT VS LOW CONTEXT         I caught this on the radio coming into work...they were discussing the nature of communication in various RW Human cultures. Specificlly they were comparing Japanese culture to North American culture. The Japanese culture was said to be HIGH CONTEXT. That is, you are trained (socialized)to know what others mean by virtue of the CONTEXT in which they speak rather than by they words they use. In North American (and European) cultures we are trained to say what we mean (and mean what we say). The Japanese would feel embarassed to have to explain themselves in this manner.

        I suppose the ULTIMATE High Context Society would be the Dragonewts? Unfortunately, we Humans have no concept of the context in which they speak and so can only ever learn 25% Auld Wyrmish? Perhaps the Aldryami might also have a High Context society, which is why that Trader in Elder Secrets might have run into trouble. Perhaps they get MAD not embarassed?

PERFUMES         It occurs to me also that the Aldryami might use perfumes or scents of various plants as weapons (ala The Wizard of Oz). Any Thoughts?

                                Howard