Esrolian Spell-teaching

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 12:14:43 +1200

David Dunham:

>Your additional opinions don't address the basic question. Is it cost
>effective [to teach farmers spells]? I believe it is. It takes one day
>for a godi to give this training etc.

Irrespective of spell availability, the spells suggested (Bladesharp 2 etc) do not have significant lifetimes on the battle field (unless you're a Goddamned Lunar). Most of the time, all the Esrolian Spearman has to rely on is his trusty 2-handed spear. Thus I think the Esrolians would find it more effective to give the spells to their regular forces who are more capable of staying on the battlefield by virtue of their equipment.

I don't think that Bladesharp or Protection will improve the morale of the spearmen as you said in the last post. Likewise I do not believe the Esrolians consider it wise to teach their spearmen fanaticism for this end. If the spearmen morale is improved, they risk the danger of getting stuck in the battle and consequently being wiped out.