Re: Esrolian Morale

From: Chris Francis <fra_at_eatl.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 96 14:36:02 GMT

From Peter Metcalfe

>>Irrespective of spell availability, the spells suggested (Bladesharp 2
>>etc) do not have significant lifetimes on the battle field (unless you're
>>a Goddamned Lunar). Most of the time, all the Esrolian Spearman has to
>>rely on is his trusty 2-handed spear. Thus I think the Esrolians would
>>find it more effective to give the spells to their regular forces who are
>>more capable of staying on the battlefield by virtue of their equipment.

>>I don't think that Bladesharp or Protection will improve the morale of
>>the spearmen as you said in the last post. Likewise I do not believe the
>>Esrolians consider it wise to teach their spearmen fanaticism for this end.
>>If the spearmen morale is improved, they risk the danger of getting stuck
>>in the battle and consequently being wiped out.

My take on this is a little different, first a godi can certainly collect more than one spell spirit in a day journeying into muysterious realms, so the efficiency of training argument of one per day doesn't hold.

Further, imagine the drill:
Right lads, concentrate like you were taught, first bladesharp, then run fast then protection. Remember when the spear stops glowing come back!

Follow the frothing Earth's Avengers through the sally gate! That way, those nice organized ranks of red's 'll be tripping over their shields and not worried about a few you pretty boys faffing around with sticks!

All done, Level spears and CHARGE!

Very, very effective short sallies charging into weakened front lines and the risk is a few Babeester Gor initiates whose utility is maximised!