Breeding males in Esrolia

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 96 23:58 MET DST

Martin Laurie said .
>>>(1). Irregardless of anything else, women are statistically weaker
>>>than men.
>Ian or Katts replied:
>>Nope. 75% of Esrolian women are stronger than the top 25% of Esrolian men
["source criticism" snipped]
>how, given Esrolias central location and long history did they:

>A) gain such a genetic difference from all the surrounding areas

Selective breeding. If short men are considered more attractive than tall ones, they will be more successful in breeding.

>B) Maintain such a difference.

Selective feeding. If the girls receive the choice cuts of meat (well, mostly fowl), and the men receive just the grain, they will grow taller and more muscular than the boys.

>>Secondly, I would argue that the existance of Maran Gor and Babeester
>>Gor, as the "violent aspects" of the Earth indicates that the warrior
>>tradition is quite alive and well in Esrolia.

>To a degree but they cannot be a large percentage or Esrolias character
would be
>very different indeed.

Actually, I believe that Maran Gor and Babs Gor are rare within Esrolia proper. Axe Hall (on Shadow Plateau) and Shakers' Temple (at Wintertop) are considered cultural outposts of Esrolite earth worship where it doesn't hurt at home.

>>And of course, swords and shields go badly against big heavy axes.
>>Particularily against closely packed formations - the Orlanthi way of war
>>is built for the hills, valleys and forests, not open clear terrain.

>Where on earth are you getting this from? If this was such a truism, why were
>axes not the predominant weapon in the dark ages when in fact it was the spear,
>sword and shield?

The two-hand-axe wielding housecarls of King Harold successfully cut down the Vikings at Stamford Bridge, and failed to win at Hastings only because decimated by the Norman archers. Axemen were quite successful in Northern and Western Europe until 1066.

>> >The Caladralanders, Shadow Plateau Uz and Wenelian Barbarians don't
>> >have significant amounts of cavalry and are loosely disorganized to
>> >boot.

>>>The Heortlings do have some cavalry to pose a serious threat
>>>(under King Richard) but the geography limits the potential forces
>>>that can be brought to bear.

Western style cavalry has been popular in Heortland ever since the Trader Princes expanded from the grand kingdom of Jorstland, early in the 3rd Age. Richard's Seshnegi knights were vastly superior, but quite a lot of the Heortling nobility (part of which fled to Sartar in the 14th century) sports cavalry as well.

>>The Esrolians dont need cavalry. Earth forts and the powers of the land,
>>together with the courage of the Many and the devotion of the Few will
>>keep the Land safe.

>Oh that! Just like the power of God saved Christendom from the Mongols? I'd
>forgotten, sorry.

And the Huns, and the Awars, and the Magyar. All were tamed by forcing them into battles they weren't prepared for. The Mongols _may_ have been able to conquer more of Europe and remain in the saddle for some time, but after all invasions from eastern riding peoples had been common throughout European history. All came, ruled for a while, and disappeared, or (in case of the Hungarians) were assimilated.

Look what the Vendref have done to the Grazers!

>>Heres how I see the Esrolian military: >
>> >20% Female. Units of Babeester Gor, Vingans, Female Humakti Elites,
>> >Light cav, Skirmishing archers mostly.
>> >80% Male. Humakti mercs, Regular spear, heavy cav.
>
>>There arent enough Humakti. Seriously, it is a minority cult even among
>>Orlanthi. I doubt more than 2% of the total Sartarite population would
>>follow Humakt.
>
>But if 2% of the Heortland population and 0.5% of the Esolian population
>followed the Sword, you still have enough men to form or officer a fair few
>units wouldn't you say?

Especially since 0.5% of Esrolian males still would number about 4500 men. Quite a lot of these would be drawn from the urban Kethaelan society rather than the rural serfs, IMO.