Esrolites, etc.

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 23 Apr 96 19:07:25 EDT

Mark writes:

> My own thought would be to start with some of Marija Gimbutas' speculations
> on the supposed matriarchies of Old Europe, the culture of the "Great
> Goddess", which seems more focused on a potential reordering of values,
> rather than simply switching men for women.

The key word re: Gimbutas is 'speculations' (FAO Carl); that said, I agree 100% with the sentiment. Among my own sources for Esrolite culture would be Robert Graves' Greek matriarchies from "The Golden Fleece" (that's "Hercules, My Shipmate" to Americans), Mary Renault's Cretans and Pelasgians from "The King Must Die", Robert Silverberg's Ishtar from "Gilgamesh the King", and others too similar and numerous to mention (some serious, others not).

The "fact" that there have never demonstrably been matriarchies shouldn't prevent us from making use of the myriad *fictions* that have depicted them -- any more than the "fact" that magic doesn't demonstrably exist prevents us from using it in our fantasy role-playing games.

Brian, I fear you are taking the wrong tack with Martin L. You should find some way of reassuring him re: the adequate size of his private parts, before you attempt to challenge his concepts of honour, virtue, manliness, etc. Else trouble and unnecessary abuse will rain down upon us all...

The only trolls who tell you about the "Arkat Troll-Making Ritual" are *hungry* trolls.

Nick

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #501