Esrolian

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:04:20 +0800 (WST)

        Thankfully avoiding all temptations at being dragged into a flame war with Martin L., I have to say I don't think the gendered nature of the Esrolian armies is that important.

        My vision of the Esrolians is the Chinese ideal of the great peasant army - thousands of men (or women) equipped with pointy sticks.

        I think the Esrolians fighting within Esrolia are generally able to fend of most military attacks by virtue of much larger numbers, good fortifications, and excellent lines of supply. When they attempt to move outside Esrolia, all these advantages are lessened, and they generally lose.

        But even a tough elite force attacking Esrolia has to worry not so much about the odd elite units of BGs, but more about a really large number of close order, well equipped (Esrolia is very wealthy), well supplied, and well fortified infantry. Leaving Esrolia quite vulnerable to raiders, but very difficult to invade.

        So how do the Lunars invade? By having large numbers of internal to Esrolia sympathisers (the Red Earth Alliance) supplying them, providing them with fortified bases, and giving them the troop numbers to mass behind the Lunar elites. The superior nature of Lunar tactics and the Lunar elites gives them the tactical advantage needed to make some gains in their Esrolian campaign, though even then they ultimately fail.

        Cheers

                David