Erik's Esrolia

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 11:25:43 +0100

This is MY, VERY un-official Esrolia, which appeared when there was an Esrolian discussion on the list at the same time as I got a group with many female players. Much of it ain't my ideas, but I must blushingly confess that I don't remember the name of the guy with whom I collaborated most - Mike? Dickinson? Anyway, some kudos to him.

OK, her goes:

1, In Esrolia, especially among the rather big middle-class, war (and violence in general) is Very Politically Uncorrect. It's seen as a masculine (ie childish) way of solving conflicts. Unfortunately, Esrolia is surrounded by "childish patriarchies" who don't share this view, so Esrolia needs an army. Fortunately, Esrolia has since looong way back been allied with/subject more warlike neighbours who take care of part of the problem. Anyway, those who hold the purse-strings in Esrolia are VERY uneager to spend on military matters - less so on fortifications, who are obviously protective/passive thingies.

2, Babs Gor is a bit different in Esrolia. They are the strong arm of the judicial forces ("police") and in war commands the militia (who is used for simple patrol missions and stuff as well, just as much of the "city guard" in medieval Sweden was guildsmen). They are less aggressive than the holy homocidal maniacs found further north, unless "high crimes" like rape or sacrilege occurs and the (known) culprit escapes, in which case they let loose some older guard with combat spells blazing. They DON'T accept males.

3, The big temple in Nochet is dedicated to The Light Of Knowledge - but all those male guest students who worship her consort The Grey Sage keeps insisting its dedicated to him, which is common male foolishness. They shave their heads as good men should, but keep their beards. Fortunately they also keep their beards neatly braided and smeared with pomada, so they will be less "hairy" - "hairy" is Esrolian slang for "bad". The females, of course, have no beards, but never cut their hair and bleach it white in the fashion of images of the Light Of Knowledge.

4, In good ol' Sartar, Humakt is the god of War, Death and Honour. In Esrolia, the Sword of Death is the god of Death, period. His mostlymale  worshippers have a small niche in society, however. The Queens and Princesses of Esrolia keep small groups of Humakti bodyguards. Officially, these are for protection from rival Queen's murderers/sabotage missions. Inofficially (but well-known to all) they are also USED for murder and sabotage AGAINST rival Queens. The Humakti don't consider these actions "dishonorable" - they are more like terrorist acts than ninja-like assassinations. Especially since no good Esrolian Humakti would leave home without putting on death's head-make-up, wear his black studded leather-lace-and-silver armor and lots of "Alchemy"-style jewelry, and carrying the correct, cool weapons - rapier, main gauche and spiked gloves (Shields and broadswords are for sissies).

Erik Sieurin