Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #508

From: Tarry Higgins <taz_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 96 19:09 BST-1

Mike Cule says

> It is generally acknowledged that his behaviour is not that expected of a
> Humakti.

He fights in an honourable way, he is obvious about it, no ambushes, poisons or stuff like that. It's a fairly twisted honour, but there is honour there - he is adhering to the letter, but not the spirit of the law. Using a Bastardsword is not the "pure" humakti way - we had a minor schism about this in one campaign, about the bastardsword being a "true" weapon of the pure Humakti, but it's a sword.

I don't see why he shouldn't retain his Divine magic at all, what cult vows or practices has be broken?

As for other Humakti coming after him with Sever Spirit, that spell is not on in the Duel, and no Humakti, except a renegade (who would have been excomumnicated and stripped of magics) would use it so.

> play gods as less active than I do but surely the prayers of the orthodox
> Humakti are echoing around the halls of Death: "Mighty Lord, do something
> about that bugger Onslaught!"

Hmmmmmmmm, you mean this is like a divination to Humakt? Almost every referee I can think of in the last ten years would have told your character to get up off your arse and do it yourself. You would get a booming voice such as :
"Let thine Sword and Onslaught's meet to decide where honour lies" The Humakti duel exists for resolving _exactly_ this sort of thing. Dave Duncan has written a trilogy about swordsmen that covcert this wonderfully.

Loren Miller about Onslaught

I think the holiday stuff was Martin having a bit of fun.

> I seem to remember that his head has no Armor on it, apparently by
> geas, so it is totally vulnerable, unless he has armored his own head
> with an Armoring Enchantment, which would make it difficult for him
> to even feel his face.

I don't think he has got armouring enchantment on his head - it's armour and would go against the geas, unless he had it there before taking the geas.

> He irritates other Humakti, at least a minority of them, and the
> majority of them in some places. I would expect that he would have
> already or will soon come up to a sword temple, wanting to renew his
> humakti blessings, and find that he is not permitted to enter the
> temple by order of the eldest sword and the war council.

At that point he would just issue a challenge to a Humakti duel against anyone who wishes to stand in his way, and say let Humakt decide, he is a Humakti Sword in the favour of Humakt (ie not excommunicated, has an ally, has some rune magic) and wishes to worship at the temple.

As I commented above to mike, this is just the sort of thing Humakti Duels are about and for.

 The Taz! ....