many things

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 14:37:16 +1200

Mike Cule:

>Has anyone done any work on how the various cultures on Glorantha would
>try criminal and civil cases? I'm especially interested in Yelmalion,
>Orlanthi and Praxian law-codes. [Case summary of Praxian Orlanthi who
>wounded a raiding unicorn rider and is now falsely accused of her murder].

Orlanthi Law is described in KoS 'Report on the Orlanthi'. However this applies to those who are *culturally* Orlanthi. A Praxian who worshipped Orlanth would be treated as a Praxian by the Unicorn Riders if he still maintained his nomadic traditions (like rides a beast etc). The adventurer would best advised to arrange to met with the Unicorn Riders at the Paps and the Priestesses there will gladly arbitrate in the dispute. If he tries an arrange a meeting elsewhere, they may just kill him as he is not a unicorn rider. OTOH if he was an outsider or recognisably so, they would kill him out of hand or enslave him.

If on the other hand, he fell into the hands of the Yelorna Temple, they would try him according to Yelmic Precepts as the Laws of Yelm apply to all, irregardless of background. The procedure is largely inquisitorial with the Judge listening to and asking questions from the two litigants. She will then reach the appropiate decision.

Lars-Marius Waldal:

>This time I have a request on info about the dog-people of Balazar (and
>the cat-people of Dragon Pass).

The Dog People are extremely primitive and have been described as Hsunchen although I don't think that's true. They have been described in Griffin Mountain and the details were recycled for Griffin Island.

The Yinkini are Cat Hsunchen who live around Kerofin (IMO - others say elsewhere in Dragon Pass). They hunt with alynxes but the details of their lifestyle is still an open question.

>I'm a little confused about this Arkat/Gbaji thing. As far as I've
>understood, Arkat was "good". He slayed Gbaji/Nysalor because he was an
>evil god.

This is only one side of the story (although the one most often known). Just about every fact you have said above is disputed by one person or another in Glorantha. For example, the Luars believe Arkat was Gbaji and his murder of Nysalor was an Evil Thing. The Orlanthi believe that either Arkat slew Gbaji/Nysalor or vice versa but it doesn't matter which for they were both scum. There's even a source which states that Gbaji never was in Dorastor.

The best way to approach riddles like these is to think of similar historical controversies in the real world. The actions of the Soviet Union in 1939-1941 is a good example: What precisely did they do? Were they good, bad or self-serving? It depends on who you listen to. An objective case could be made out but most Gloranthans do not have the inclination to understand the other person's side of the story.

>But Arkat also almost slayed the goddess Dorasta during this
>period, and as far as I can understand, Dorasta is a "good" goddess,
>worshiped by farmers of Riskland (and other places...?). Why did Arkat
>attack her?

I think this was the Curse of Cleansing and most people remark that he did it out of spite *after* Nysalor had been killed. A data point for the 'Arkat is Evil' School, but he may have had some real reason for doing so (the God Learners who ventured into Dorastor think he did).

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #513