In defence of Onslaught

From: Mark Crowne <mcrowne_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 96 12:38 BST-1

Wouldn't normally have posted this, but since folk have been objecting to the onslaught of Onslaught I thought I'd have my five pence worth.

I've really enjoyed reading what Martin Laurie has posted in recent weeks, both in terms of the Deville series and more recent posts on Onslaught. It doesn't represent my take on Glorantha/Humakt perfectly, but it has made me think more about these subjects. It's also nice to have someone on the list whose first inclination is to write some fiction to present his point of view, rather than enter the usual scholarly debate, which although interesting can be rather dry.

Kudos also to Brian Tickler and Pam Carlson for responding to Onslaught in fictional style and it was good to see the matter of Arreth vs. Onslaught resolved satisfactorily.

Onslaught is obviously The Man With No Name transplanted into Glorantha and should not be taken too seriously, and I don't think that Martin ever intended him to be.

Personally it always makes me unhappy to see any personal slights against others on this list, whether they be cleverly put or otherwise.

Maybe we all deserve a bit of a rest from Onslaught's solo adventures, but I would love to see more fiction here culled from other people's campaigns and characters. I'm looking forward to the next installment of Deville - The Wastelands! Maybe I'll even write something myself...

All IMO of course and Your Glorantha may differ!

Mark Crowne