Sog and Harrek

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 12:57:20 +1200

Nick Brooke:

>Sog's Ruins are an ancient ruined Waertagi drydock, similar to those
>found in Sog City, Nochet City, and elsewhere around the lozenge. It
>would have been abandoned before the Jrusteli got to Prax. Probably
>holy to all manner of water spirits, Gorakiki-mosquito, swamp thingies,
>slime beasts and the like.

I don't think Sog's ruins is a drydock as they are expensive and Sog's ruins is in the middle of nowhere. More probably IMO it was a place which the Waertagi came ashore to trade with the local tribes. The Jrusteli did occupy Sog City as Sandy in Codex 1 points out, but I think it was eclipsed by Feroda and Robcradle as the Cradle revenues began to flow. I imagine its end came when it was sacked by the EWF and quietly written off by the God Learners.

Joerg Baumgartner:

AJ>>The Wolf Pirates are as bad or worse, since Harrek led them into
>>battle and wiped out most/all of the Pharaoh's fleet.

>Wrong. Harrek has the perfect alibi for this action - he was busy
>plundering Sog City at that time. Harrek "settled" at Threestep Isles
>only in 1620, I believe, and (for dramaturgical reasons) after the
>Lunar conquest of Heortland. Whoever the leader of the Wolf Pirates
>was who wiped out the Pharaonic navy in 1616, I suppose he was killed
>in the brief struggle for primacy after Harrek's arrival.

Which is quite strange because there is (in the G:CotHW Book 1) a picture of Harrek plundering the Rightarm Isles in 1616 ST! Also his sacking of Sog City occured in 1615. I fear Joerg has become mislead by the boxed article in the Genertela book which implies that immediately after the sacking of Sog City, Harrek was in Ygg's Isles.

However the truth is revealed in ToTRM#9 which states that Harrek was recruited into the Wolf Pirates when he was on a boat from *Loskalm* to Seshnela. He then sails to Three Steps Isles (where the Wolf Pirates were established circa 1605 ST) and quickly becomes their leader. Since he is leaving Loskalm and not Ygg's Isles (as per the boxed article) and the Wolf Pirates attack his ship (whereas the boxed article says he had half the Yggite population with him - would they be so stupid?), Harrek must have been leaving on a boat from plundered Sog City in either 1615 or 1616. This gives him ample opportunity to be in Three Steps Isles to destroy the Pharaonic Navy and sack the Rightarm Isles in 1616 ST. The silence of the boxed article of his sojourns in Three Steps Isle is understandable as the Sog City Chroniclers are hardly interested in Wolf Pirate politics.

[Why Harrek leaves Sog City by boat is not yet clear. I have the impression of the Street Judges besieging a building in which Harrek has taken several hostages. Since most of Harrek's army has melted away for the winter, Harrek has to settle for a boat out of Loskalm and all the booty he can carry. Suggestions welcomed!]

Harrek then travels to Ygg's Isles in 1617 to become the Champion of Ygg as described in the boxed article and marches half the population to the Three Step Isles *reinforcing* the Wolf Pirates already there. As the Pharaonic Navy has been destroyed and the Pharaoh dead, the Kethaelans are incapable of taking any effective action in Harrek's absense.