More about Onslaught

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 11:49:37 GMT

Kevin Rose He Say:

> The basic problem with the Humakti is that there are no real limits as to
> what they can do. It's all cultural. A group of humakti can be bloody
> handed butchers who can't be told from ZZ without a score card, skilled
> duelists for money, or honorable disciplined warriors. Humakt doesn't
> care. The basic requirement is that they must be willing to kill and
> willing to die. As long as the senior Sword belives he is following
> humakt properly, it's OK.

And this is where I disagree again. Humakt isn't just a token or an idea. He's a person with his own ideas about what is right and what is wrong. And he can take an active part in keeping his followers on the straight and narrow.

Furthermore, the Humakti aren't just isolated mass killers. They have a place in 'Barbarian Belt' society and are supported by the larger culture because they are useful. Either through internal honour or a rational self interest the saner Humakti will keep the rogues under control.

And Jim Chapin he say:

> If there can be Humakti sword broos in Dorastor, Onslaught can certainly
> exist.

I think that you'll find that those fellows are Illuminated, which breaks all the rules.

> And if Storm Bulls and Zorak Zorani exist in Gloranthan society,
> then Onslaught can survive too.

Again, these cults are kept by the cultures that support them for a purpose. Although Uroxi and ZZers are uncomfortable to have around, you need them for the defense against the ultimate enemy, Chaos. And if members of either started killing indiscriminately then the larger society would be swift to jump on them from a great height.

And finally, I must say that Onslaught's stats make me boggle slightly. Bite attack at 160%? Move this guy onto the Godplane please......

Actor and Genius.
AKA Theophilus, Prince-Archbishop of the Far Isles (Arms: Purpure, an open book proper, without clasps. On the dexter page the Greek letter Alpha or. On the sinister page the letter Omega of the same. Motto: nulla spes sit in resistendo.)
Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better living through pan-medieval anachronisms.