Tempus meum tero

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 01:06:35 +1000

G'day all,

I wrote:
>But if it really upsets you Martin, how's this:
>>It doesn't, it was merely wrong given the character of the NPC.

>"She was a mere woman - so what? Onslaught had killed them before;
>it was usually cheap, quick and easy, and did something to quench the fire
>in his loins, the fire he was forbidden by his god to put out. My how he
>loved to stab them with his big, big sword! This one had the temerity to
>tell him, Onslaught, that... "

>>So now you infer he's some sort of pervert? This is getting ridiculous.
>>He is celibate by choice, he thinks it makes him a better fighter as well
>>as being a rejection of fertility. He has focussed all energy on his
>>trade, which is why he's so damn nasty at it.

Sigh, I was trying to add slightly more than one dimension to the Big O's paper-thin character. I imagine it ain't easy as Martin thinks being celibate "by choice": it has certainly led people in the real world to commit sexual crimes when their resolve snaps. But then, a character who has the oratorical mastery of a Cicero but "talks as if he is only 30-40% deliberately to foster the belief that he's stupid" is capable of anything I suppose (either that, or he takes lots of cold showers).

>I suppose you were objecting to his capability?

Yep. I really was hoping you weren't being serious (Bite 160%?)

>Did it excite you writing out the wonderfully honourable Count Julan
>because you clearly have a paladin fetish or am I jumping to conclusions
>on little data like a certain other person I could mention?

I wrote the Coders based on specifications sent to me by Ken Rolston. I could have quite easily got the Western Sorceror assignment, the Magasta Sea Captain, the Pamaltelan Shaman assignment or the Manirian Bungee-Jumper [at least one of these ended up on the cutting room floor], and I would have done 'em too.

>You're a teacher right? I have several friends who are teachers and I
>envy them one part of their careers and that is the _lack_ of back
>biting and dishonourable conduct that they have in their jobs.

Jeez, they obviously don't work for the Victorian Directorate of School Education...

>When you can talk without attacking me personally (I am still at a
>loss as to why you are doing this-have we been enemies in a past life
>or something that causes this onslaught? Pun intended) I'd love to
>debate with you.

Ok, ok, to paraphrase Biturian Varosh (can't put my finger on CoP just now): winding up Martin is easy, but gains you little profit and earns you an enemy for life. I'm outta here.

Cheers

MOB