Humakti

From: martin <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 29 Apr 96 19:24:21 EDT

David Hall
I said:
>You argue that Onslaught and his ilk would have no place in
>Glorantha because they are not honourable according
>to Humakt and the culture around them? I'm not so sure
>about this. Killers exist in every culture, modern, middle ages or ancient.

>Of course they exist, and the culture limits their actions or punishes them. In
>Sartarite culture Death is seen as Orlanths sword, as his honourable and
>truthful brother who severed his kinship when Yelm was foully assassinated.
>Sartarite Humakti therefore serve Orlanth and have a belief in honour and truth
>- - and an aversion to assassins.

>What is your argument here? Are you saying that Onslaught is an honourable
>Humakti because hes a Gloranthan serial killer? Or because he gets paid for
>his assassination work? Or because Sartar has been invaded and as a result
>Orlanthi culture and mores have broken down completely? I would dispute all of
>these.

Some points:
(1) Onslaught has spent most of his time in war zones, on raids, working for governments in a "military consulant" capacity etc so he really isn't a Sartarite, he is a city dweller from the gutters of Nochet. His moral code is rather tweaked compared to many so he isn't a Sartarite though he rather likes them.

(2). Killing people for pay is not assassination by any definition I can think of. Doing it covertly _is_. If Onslaught behaved in a covert manner when killing, then yes, he would be apostate but otherwise no.

(3). He's no more a Gloanthan serial killer than Argrath or Sir Ethilrist, or anybody else that does it for a military purpose. It really depends on what the conditions at the time are. If he isn't fighting people, he isn't killing them. If they don't fight him he doesn't kill them. If a warrior threw down his weapons and curled up in a ball in front of Onslaught, he would stare in disbelief and disgust and pass him by. Why? Cos there is no challenge.

I think there are lots of Humakti like this, who don't kill not through any moral repugnace to them, because after all, Death is what they are about. The reasons why they don't kill are because they don't feel that the person in front of them is worthy of that gift of their god. Killing someone is an honour you show them. This is how Onslaught thinks. I wish there would be less focus on the result and more on the reason because in this context this is what truly counts.

MOB
You basically said you were winding me up. Well fair enough. However, I must add that I've never met a single person who wouldn't get upset at a complete stranger insulting their work, their sexual capability and their attitudes without a damn good reason to do so. If you think I'm sensitive to wind-ups sitations, ask my friends someday, they know better, but then again I know _them_ too.

Nuff said, and I ain't your enemy. As for discussing the issue without a war first I'd really be interested in the process you used to create the Julan character, any chance of a description?

BTW, you were right about the 160% bite attack, I was joking. It should be 210%, thats much more reasonable.

Howard Fielding commented on the Onslaught stats as "power gaming" could you explain your view and what you define as power gaming?

Martin Laurie