Heros not Mundanity!

From: martin <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 30 Apr 96 13:46:35 EDT

Peter Metcalfe comments on Onslaughts stats:

Me
>Onslaught is about as far from a common fighting man as you can get.

Peter:
>He does not need superhuman statistics and equipment to do so. Far
>more convincing desperados could be made statwise.

I would agree with this if he were a desperado or if he was meant to be a run of the mill Rune Lord. However, I wrote Onslaught to be superhuman, that was kind of the point. He is my take on what a Humakti verging on minor Herodom could be like. He is meant to be as far above a Rune Lord as a Rune Lord is above a lay member. Here's a challenge for you, what do _you_ think are convincing stats for a war god warrior who is aspiring to be a cult hero and isn't far away from achieving that while alive?

Me>>[Onslaught is too powerful]

>Er..I don't think so. I was talking to Sandy about this kind of thing a
>while ago and he postulated that Ralzakark would be a Dragon Pass Hero of
>Combat Rating (2) or at most (3) and thats including all his Sword Broo.

>How much Rune Magic has Onslaught got compared to the big R? How many
>funky magic items (Warhelm, Dwarf enchanted armour, Weapons to dream
>about) has the big R got compared to Onslaught?

Talk to Sandy about that, he'll present a different argument. Onslaught would have (IMO) way less chance against Ralzakark than would Deville in most situations. Ralzakark would likely just blow him away with magic from range. Onslaughts weaponry and armour all reflected the powers he quested for - close combat fighting. At this kind of thing he's lethal but at most other things he is merely murderous.

>I believe strongly that Argrath probably has several Onslaught type
>warriors serving him [etc]

>I think Argrath has somewhat more *subtle* people serving him than
>Onslaught the Gross. You crafted him so that he's invincible,
>consistently killing 2 people in a round while holding off the other
>three who don't have a hope in hell of hurting him. I don't think
>even Argrath can pull of that trick (he sure didn't in the River of
>Cradles scenario - a comment is made there to the effect that 'Garrath'
>sometimes met a tough Lunar which took more than a couple of rounds to
>kill). My guess as to Argrath's stats would be a wee bit more tasteful
>than Onslaughts with something like the power level of Unicorn Emperor.
>Argrath according to DP is capable of taking out the Crimson Bat, but
>I strongly doubt that he (or Harrek for that matter) goes hand to hand
>with the thing on the battle field.

Well the example I gave was against elite troops, ie Sword Brothers, that kind of thing. Now a similar action against 5 Rune Lords would be another story. He would have trouble with Rune Levels and has. I've seen a player sparring with him parry him for 3 rounds running. Admittedly there was no magic but even so, this is quite possible.

Argrath would not be Onslaughts equal in hand to hand IMO but he wouldn't be _that_ far away. However, Argrath would kick him all over the place with his magic and herogifts. However, Onslaught protecting Argrath would make a good combination. You say Argrath was more subtle but I think that by the time he was King of Sartar subtlety had taken a back seat. Argrath was wearing his war face and he would have hired almost anyone who could get the job done. In my campaign Onslaught would be right in the middle of all that juicy action, it is what he lives for after all.

Added to that is the fact that in the Cradle scenario Onslaught is a _lot_ tougher than Argrath but Argrath rapidly gains more powers than Onslaught after that period and outstrips him considerably.

>IMO the reason why Argrath is better in DP compared to Razalkark
>is that Argrath has more supporters and the quality of his Inner
>Ring is much higher.

This is one reason yes.

Lewis Jardine:
The idea that Onslaught would stand in the corner is preposterous, it can be seen quite clearly from his stats that there is no gift allowing him to refrain from going to the toilet and any attempt to do so would be very messy indeed. However, I thank you for pointing out this weakness in his stats and will correct it henceforth.....

Frank R.
You made the telling point "is there an unwritten law that says that Gloranthan tough guys cannot have stats posted?"

I think there is. I'm sure there is. I think that most people feel that by posting stats on the likes of Harrek or Argrath that there would be an outrageous act of power gaming committed which would stain the hallowed pages of the digest indelibly.

You only have to look at the slagging off I got for posting my view of a demi-hero. There is such a prejudice against tough characters it amazes me. I play roleplaying games both to stimulate my mind and have some fun. FUN. This means that it has to be escapism. I'll be damned if I'm going to play or write about a non-heroic character all my life. I like a mix but mostly I like the heroic end of things. However I have seen from the comments I have gained, particularily from self-proclaimed "luminaries" that this is WRONG and that I am obviously a fool for even thinking that were all supposed to have a good time, whatever our poison.

Amusingly, I have laid down this gauntlet to the "luminaries" (you know who you are)
on the subject of herodom and if anyone is well equipped to write a Gloranthan hero it is they, with access to Greg and his works that most of us haven't got. So instead of bitching when an attempt is made to quantify this by someone else, why doesn't _someone_ other than my rather battered self post their idea of a big cheese?

Martin Laurie.