Onslaught and the Rubble Runner...

From: Lewis Jardine <JARDINE_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 12:08:17 +0100 (BST)

Hi All & Martin

I post the following for a number of reasons, but NOT as an attack on Martin L. or his enterpretation of Glorantha. My main reason for posting it is I think it has some humour (and humour needs to be injected into the *great* Onslaught debate/flamewar). It also shows people that someone like Onslaught is takeable in single *combat* by someone much less powerful. I have not attempted to specify stats etc. but the reader may be able to determine the spells etc. that are the background to the story.

Finally, for Martin, it is you choice about whether Onslaught gets out of this attack in your own Glorantha. I just wrote this story to show that loners are very vulnerable as they can't guard against all attacks.

"Now, Onslaught, you are a naughty boy. Stand in the corner until that
nasty cheating magic expires."

Onslaught quickly spun round to glare at the owner of the mocking voice. The shattered bodies of his foes lay heaped between them. Onslaught growled with rage and leaped over the bloody remains, charging towards the tall, brighly dressed fop. Selwi took one look at his ferocious, blood-spattered visage and legged it. His ally cast his most powerful
"Run Away" spell and his legs blurred as he shot off into the Rubble.

Onslaught eyes briefly widened in alarm, but quickly this turned into a feral steel grin. He started to jog after his dishonourable tormentor who had not even had the decency to stay around to be butchered. Onslaught jogged on, in a fast distance devouring lope, knowing that his prey would swiftly tire. His heavily trained and practiced tracking skills were easily up to the task of following this dandy, who had fled too fast to hide the signs of his passage. When he developed a stitch Onslaught ingnored the pain and made a mental note that he would have to fit in some time to do more running in his packed training schedule. Confident, that his prey would be suffering at least as much as he Onslaught loped on licking his lips in anticipation.

Finally rounding a corner he sighted his target, bent over and gasping for breath. Onslaught sped in and Onslaught whistled down severing the exposed neck. His battle trained reflexes caused him to react with lightning speed to the lack of resistance to his blow. Illusion, he thought, spinning to meet the expected attack from behind. Sure enough even as he spun he could feel the Dandy's black stone knife scoring a line across his armour (thank Death for that dwarven enchantment). Onslaught's axe ripped into his foe's abdomen feeling a satisfying grate as it hit the spine. Grinning and breathing a sigh of relief Onslaught relaxed just in time to glimpse the enormous jaws of the gigantic rubble runner as they flickered out of invisibility and closed around him.

"Damn, a second illusion with sound and touch components too!"
swore Onslaught as he was swallowed forever...

Cheers

        Selwi Jerandi (Rubble Runner Rogue Trickster)

The moral of the story; "Sometimes it pays to cross your legs."