MOB on Cheese

From: martin <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 01 May 96 16:29:07 EDT

MOB
me:
>However I have seen from the comments I have gained, particularily
>from self-proclaimed "luminaries" that this is WRONG and that I am
>obviously a fool for even thinking that were all supposed to have a
>good time, whatever our poison.

>Martin, I haven't seen *anyone* blowing their own trumpets, proclaiming
>themselves as "luminaries" on this digest. Petulant comments like these
>have reluctant dragged me back into the debate (sigh)...

Petulant? Ha! This is from the incredibly mature man who insults complete strangers on a public forum merely because he disagrees with them. I always consider people who insult and deride others for their view simply because it doesn't match theirs to be blowing their own trumpet and acting superior. Wouldn't you?

>Martin, you posted material to the Digest, presumably for public appraisal,
>scrutiny, criticism, even praise. You got plenty of the former, and
>not much of the latter this time. You have earnestly defended your
>position with a doggedness that even Onslaught would find admirable.
>However, the general consensus is agin you on this one. To use a
>martial metaphor, this cut 'n thrust is what a forum like the Glorantha
>Digest is all about, and (mixing my metaphors here) if you run something up
>the flagpole you've got to expect it might be shot down. Better luck next
>time, eh?

Funny that because I seem to see many comments being for,against and partially feeling both ways about this issue. I have also spotted a fair few people who dislike the insults and derision being so easily thrown about when certain folk feel in a righteous mood.

As for people disagreeing with me. Good! I don't want agreement for the sake of it, I don't want any sycophantic crap and I only defend my postion so doggedly because insults are an _attack_ to me and on me. Naturally I defend myself. Presumably you'd prefer it if I just rolled over and quit in the face of all the hostility? Well dream on.

>You won't find a character like Onslaught in my vision of Glorantha. Not
>only because he's got 160% Bite Attack, but because in totality he's a mere
>cardboard cut-out, about as real and plausible as Fred Might-Thews
>from Different Worlds #37.

Personally I think the Coders are fairly card-board too. Then again you only had a few pages on each and did a good job with what you had. Likewise I could have written a bloody novel on Onslaughts background but I haven't the time or the inclination.

>Amusingly, I have laid down this gauntlet to the "luminaries" (you know who
>you are) on the subject of herodom and if anyone is well equipped* to write
>a Gloranthan hero it is they, with access to Greg and his works that most of
>us haven't got. So instead of bitching when an attempt is made to quantify
>this by someone else, why doesn't _someone_ other than my rather battered
>self post their idea of a big cheese?

>I've already obliged: the Lunar Coders. They're as good as you're
>gonna get from me. Y'know, I doubt very much if Hero types are
>much more powerful, stat-wise. Their growth and power comes in
>ways that can probably only be adequately described by storytelling
>rather than bald stats (which is probably why HeroQuest hasn't
>appeared yet, and ain't likely ever to).

The sad fact is that you are right, there isn't likely to be a heroquest rules set so all the more reason for the digest to explore these ideas. Perhaps over time we could create a consensus but without actually talking about it its never going to happen. Thats all I want, is to see some discussion on the issue.

>You are an astute leader and place him in a place he will do well. You
>place him in command of a fortress that absolutely must not fall.
>He will kill any man who breaks, he never sleeps, never dispairs and never,
>never gives in.

>Jeez, he must be great for morale! In the end, those that haven't
>deserted will be lying around him in heaps, bitten to death for failing
>to live up to his impossibly high standards. However, as Onslaught is
>effectively invulnerable, the rest of the garrison is probably superfluous
>anyway...

Impossible standards? Like tha Alamo, Rourkes Drift, Lucknow, Mafeking, Vicksburg, Masada, Rome under Belisarius, Arnhem, Leonidas etc? All done by mere mortals. All Onslaught would expect is that (a lot I know), he knows hardly anyone can match his own abilities. Onslaught is very vulnerable and a competant besieger could take him down with a well timed effort.

>Onslaught is merely one of many wandering Swords (maybe 200) in Dragon
>Pass and possibly not even the best.

>Y'mean there's some other Guy with a Big Sword out there with *267%* Head
>Butt?

Well of course there is! Several. They do song and dance numbers at the Gredyog Inn on Godsday, didn't you know?

BTW I hear Schwarzenegger is doing a new movie, called "The Humaktinator" where he plays a God Learner Death Construct sent back before the Dawn, frozen in time via a manifested Stasis Rune till the fourth age when he comes out to find and kill Salah Cunnur, a woman fated to bear a great hero who, in the future of the 4th age, will destroy the Living Flesh Machine (Mark II).

I for one am going to see it. Wanna come? We can take our rubber swords and He-man figures and wave them at the screen! Great stuff.

Martin Laurie