Re: Brithini/Vadeli, Humakti, etc.

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 96 21:13:25 -0500

Chapin
>how can a regular human tell a Brithini from a Vadeli, and so on.
MOB
>>If Glorantha was in the Star Trek universe, no doubt by the
curious >>lump of latex on their foreheads...

        I like to think of it as a crinkly-cut french fry taped to the nose. At least for Klingons.

MOB
> If, as I think most people accept, Humakti (in DP anyway) are
> ritually severed from their kith and kin, do they participate in
> clan cattle raids, or bloodfueds as recently discussed by David
> Dunham? Or are they meant to be above this, following the lead of
> their god as above?

        I think that except for the harshest temples, Humakti are _not_ severed from kin -- rather, they are "set apart" from them. Of course, they have a ceremony for kin severance.

        BUT, the code of Humakt is expected to take precedence over kin relationships, which in itself is a fearsome concept to the Orlanthi.

        I also believe that there are several sagas and epic poems about Humakti who were torn between their families and Humakt's honor.

KILLING ONSLAUGHT
        Have one strong man hold his right arm. Have another hold his left. Now he is helpless. Hold his head underwater for hours until his CON rolls fail. If that takes too long, unlace his helmet and stuff a firecracker up his nose.

        Have a good-sized sylph with plenty of Shield carry him down the Hellcrack.

	Use Truestone arrows -- they'll ignore his magic.
	Place him in a small room with a dozen Walktapi and see how
long he can hold his breath. Their constrictive grip will keep increasing round after round until even _his_ armor gives way. To get a dozen Walktapi, start with one. Chop it into pieces. Keep pieces separate and feed each hunk a cow or two until it reaches full size.

        Push him into a pit filled with gorp. Better yet, fill the pit with whipped cream -- he can't breath, and he can't swim out of it, either. Drizzle with maraschino cherry juice.

	Immerse in cement. Let harden. Drop into Magasta's Pool.
	Don't feed him. Eventually, he'll starve to death.
	Chuck him into the howling void created by the Thed spell.
	Cast Reverse Chaos (boosted with 100 MPs to evade his
anti-magic stuff). Do a Divine Intervention simultaneously so you get to pick the particular chaos feature he gets. Pick a really keen one.
	Hire Gonn Orta to pull off his ears.
	Get a sorcerer to cast Skin of Life and Diminish SIZ on a
cow. Shrink the cow to the size of a pea. Put it inside a martini olive and get him to swallow it. Permit the Diminish SIZ to lapse. You now have a cow-shaped hollow shell of Onslaught.

        Have him fight duel after duel with an endless succession of farmboys. Eventually he'll get that much-to-be-desired Fumble of Fumbles -- "Critical Hit Self in Head".