Re: Treack Markhor

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 96 22:51:32 -0500

Jim Chapin
> What nationality is Treack Markhor? Atyar's skull is described as
>being left in a niche of a temple in the East Isles; Markhor as a
>traitorous priest of LHankor Mhy who then takes it to Kralorela.
>Isn't this a bit far afield for a LM priest?

        Treack Markhor is, of course, a God Learner -- LM is one of the most important GL cults. He found it in the East Isles as a spy (GL's weren't permitted openly there) -- the temple in which he found it was not, in fact, a LM temple.

        He took it to Kralorela because the False Dragon Ring were allies of the GL and could protect him more readily than the Middle Sea Empire, which, after all, was far to the West.

        The cult of Thanatar, like the cult of Caladra & Aurelion is, in essence, a successful God Learner experiment.

>And his name does not sound Kralorelan; how is he wandering from
the >East Isles into Kralorela?

        He's not Kralori. And see above for the details.

>And, for that matter, how does a broo hero Greegrog get into
>Kralorela -- I didn't know broos lived there?

        Broos live in Kralorela, as everywhere else in Glorantha. They are fewer than in the Wastes, but more numerous than in the East Isles (for instance). They are not considered a major enemy by the Kralori, and are sometimes referred to as "Chaos Hsunchen" which is a more subtle concept than it at first appears. You see, the Kralori aren't claiming that broos are Hsunchen who went chaotic. Instead, they say that broos are like Hsunchen who emulate CHAOS as their host-"animal", rather than some other creature (like tigers or tenrecs).