Rune, Martin, Rune

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 03 May 96 03:48:42 EDT

Not that I feel the need to intervene, but Martin Laurie mentioned:

> my disagreement with Martin Crim over his alledged superiority when he knows
> full well that the Laurie Rune is superior because it has an "R" as one of
> its two central letters following a "U" whereas "Crim" has an "I" following
> and "R"!!!?!! Need I say more?

Surely shome mishtake! Their surnames give the game away. The third and fourth letters of M. Laurie's surname phonetically spell out "You Are" (U.R.), while the equivalent letters in M. Crim's spell "I Am" (I.M.). It is clear that *Martin Laurie's own name* proclaims the superiority of Martin Crim, whom all good Digesters must now hail as the One True Martin!

BTW, my bygone insinuation re: penis envy was meant as a riposte to Martin Laurie's declaration that "all feminists want to dominate men" -- it is equally true, IMHO, that: all writers of "mighty-thewed heroic fantasy" are sweaty-palmed traumatised nerds fixated on gay icons like Schwarzenegger and Van Damme; all "wargamers" are adolescent fantasists hung up on macho SAS bullshit, gun magazines, and the perceived need to swear grotesquely and inappropriately in public places ("leper-sucking Whores"); all "powergamers" are self-abusing bandwidth-filling exponents of "my character's higher level than yours" DnD munchkinism...

But as long as we're talking about *other* people, it's all right to bring out these crudely abusive stereotypes, isn't it? Y'know, I'm glad I struck a nerve, if it helps make him more sensitive in future.

> Fantasy today is littered with "nice guy" heros who "agonize" over the nasty
> things they are doing or have "deep personality problems". Heros? Its like
> reading the life and times of a social worker. Blaaa. I wanna puke. To me a
> hero is a man or woman who sticks by their beliefs no matter what, because
> they think they are _right_. Someone who will die for a friend or fight to
> the last to save a cause. Now thats heroism. [M.L. V2 #290]

Oh. I take it all back: if "sticking by your beliefs no matter what, because you think you're *right*" is the definition of heroism, then Martin L. is being *truly* heroic. :-)

Nick