Raiders, Reviers, Riders & Rogues

From: garry.nixon <oa5gni_at_zen.sunderland.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 20:07:21 +0100 (BST)

Hello all,
I've just finished reading a book called the Steel Bonnets, by George MacDonald Fraser (for those of you in the know he also wrote the scripts for Octopussy and the 3 Musketeers). It describes the lifestyles of the group of people caught on the border of Scotland and England before the unification of the two Kingdoms (the Border Reviers, source of words in the English language such as blackmail, and bereavement). I think it is a good resource that could be used to reflect the nature of the tribal rivalrys and struggles expierienced in Sartar etc. It also gives good descriptions about how these peoples lived, what liesure pursuits they had and some of the preoccupations they suffered from. In Particular there is a description of a typical raid, (ch XV Carletons raid, for those intrested in how Esrola is often a target) and also how justice was adminstered (ch XX Days of Truce). In the appendix is the Bishop of Durhams curse on the Border Reivers (4 pages long.....) I'd have posted some of it, (it really is an interesting read), but I'm not sure about copyrights etc. So If you can get hold of a copy have a look (or refresh me about this copyright thing.)

Lots of Love, Stay Hucky [Hucky=happy+Lucky], Garry.