Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #532

From: Ross Stites <rstites_at_ee.umn.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 15:27:52 -0500 (CDT)

> 8. How many lunar (and sable) troops are there in Prax in 1623?
> When does Argrath get back (no, I don't have KoS)?
> I believe there are about 1500 Lunar troops in Pavis, and
> another couple hundred in Corflu. The Sable troops are not numbered
> - -- basically the whole tribe is pro-Lunar at this time, and they are
> not subject to census or counting.

This is a topic that I've been thinking about lately. Why do the Lunars use so many resources to garrison and hold the Zola Fel after they've captured the port cities south of Dragon Pass? These cities are closer to them and are also larger, superior ports to Corflu. My impression has been that the taking of the valley was mainly an operation to get a port, but this reason goes away once it has been successfully used as a staging area, and once better ports have been captured. I'd think that the Lunars would only want to leave a small force in Pavis and allow their Sable and Sun Dome allies to control/protect the rest of the valley. I can't imagine that it takes 1500 troops to keep Pavis under control...

Ross Stites