Lunar cavalry

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 96 13:21:00 PDT

David Cake had an good question - what cults do we find interesting and why?

For my two cents, I find the Pelorians, particulary the solars, intriguing.  (Hardly a surprise to anyone, I'm sure.) The main reason is that I enjoy exploring their focus on the community rather than on the individual.

Fredrik Brorson (Yay! another Swede!)

>From what I can find in the list archives, the empire is short on light
cavalry and has to use nomad allies for most assignments of the light cavalry kind. Would the Heartland Corps and other mobile armies have more cavalry than the provincial militias?

Well, horses are land intensive and expensive, and the Heartlands are pretty crowded with farmers, rice, turnips and cabbages. The Scylillians, as  inheritors of the Nivorehen scene, have a horse raising tradition, so they likely field a heartland calvary. The Dara Happan nobles, once ruled (and likely fathered) by horse nomads, maintain the deep solar respect for horses. I'm sure there is an elite heartland Dara Happan cavalry, made up of wealthy young men who feel their polo skills will easily cross over to thwacking a Rebel or two. And Loren or Nick can tell you about the Carmanian heavy cav units.

Pam

PS. Martin King gets my vote for holder of the Martin Rune. I'll bet he's bigger than all the other Martins combined!