Re: non-Violent heroquests, Pirates, and other maunderings

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 96 09:58:33 -0500

Many heroquesters have been non-violent to a great degree.

        Dormal's bypassing of the Closing is definitely a heroquest. Dormal _did_ engage in battle during his quest, but this was strictly a sideline, and only when forced upon him.

        Hon-Eel has been mentioned as a "non-violent" quester, but she did plenty of one-on-one duels and similar fights.

        The Pure One's quest to become apparently non-chaotic was non-violent.

	The awakening of Shang-Hsa into Yanoor was non-violent.
	The creation of Osentalka was non-violent, though it led to
violence afterwards.
	Errinoru's quest for supremacy in Elfdom was non-violent,
though confrontations were frequent.
	Elamle's foundation of human/elf equality was non-violent.
Note that she may represent the only totally non-combative Superhero since time began.

        The first troll attempt to break the trollkin curse was non-violent (can't remember the name of the trollwife who accomplished this), in that the quester's contests did not involve fighting techniques. However, the loser of the contests was often killed or dismembered (but not by his/her opponent).

        The Silent Prophet's establishment of his cult was non-violent. Almost all the violence attendent upon the incursion of the Cult of Silence was performed by its enemies, not the cult itself.

        There are of course other examples, but I'm out of time.

PIRATES
Joerg Baumgartner
>Not too much of a community, IMO. I picture the Threestep Isles a
bit like
>the pirate isles in Hugh Cook's "The Walrus and the Warwolf", a heap of
>bleak rocks settled by raiders without any regard for other people's or
>communities' rights than their own ships'.

        I've not read Cook's tale, and probably will never do so. However, pirates historically have been very much part of a community. Read the Brethren of the Coast, or any book on Malay pirates. Pirates, as refugees from normalcy, quickly formed their own communities, and established their own rules. The Wolf Pirates, who are NOT outlawed by their own culture, have no doubt kept their societal mores. Of course, there are many non-Ygg's Islanders in the Wolf Pirates nowadays, but these folk, true outcasts, have adapted to the Ygg's culture, even as the Ygglings have done likewise. I'm sure the standard pirate tongue is some sort of pidging Ygglinga.

        Naturally any den of pirates is going to have more than its share of sociopaths and madmen, and when I say that they will have their own rules and culture this is not to say that "Pirateburg" is going to be any less wild and sinful than the old buccaneer nests of the Spanish Main. Certainly no place to raise a family.

Sandy P.

Sandy P.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #541