Farm Boys

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 01:40:48 -0500 (EST)

Our Balazar campaign wasn't even farm boys, but hunter-gatherer boys. I still remember (I was the GM) the PCs first visit to a big town (Trilus!) and their splurging their vast cash resources on buying a pan to take back to the tribe. One of my teen-age sons grumbled sotto-voce "I hate being a primitive." As the campaign evolved, just by the luck of random encounter rolls and courageous player decisions and good combat rolls (our campaigns don't fudge those things), the players emerged as being far more powerful in reputation than they were in fact. This led to some interesting role-playing indeed -- people who everybody thought were tough but knew they weren't that tough. So far, they have managed over the years to manipulate circumstances enough as to become much closer to the level of toughness that most of their acquaintances thought they had in the first place!
So far, we have played the exact opposite of Sandy -- only published game scenarios -- then again, I am not a Famous Game Designer -- only a reasonably busy real world person who likes to play games, and we have always had enough parties around (about 4 "standard" RQ parties) to fit them into most of the adventure scenarios -- and we will pick up npcs from adventure packs such as the Borderlands as some of the original party died or faded out, and occasionally take the whole party suggested (as we did in River of Cradles) and then keep playing them along into the other new Praxian adventures.
By the way, I can't forbear noticing that MOB's account of the major characters he has played is mostly an account of disaster and defeat -- maybe he should play farm boys! After all, MY Theoblance might have lost the election, but he kept his life and walked out with his Church following, and if Gordius had just recognized the wonderful skills of my Count, maybe the Lunars would still have kept Boldhome in the American version. For that matter, I am sure that my wonderful diplomatic skills as a female Lunar diplomat explain why our expedition into Tarsh was such an all-around success. Now, if I could only figure out a way to follow the Runequest rules and get a character anywhere near Rune level . . . I could do the same thing on a table-top! Jim Chapin